Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

Testing Coils 7 years 11 months ago #12727

• Scorpio2016
  • Scorpio2016's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks again. You have a knack for explaining things to the uninitiated. The test I did was just on the spark plug cap as the wire is the kind which doesn't screw off the coil. It's bonded right on there which kind of sucks. Anyway, I guess these coils are toast. Would a bad CDI box cause them all to fry? It seems strange to me they'd all go bad since the bike would start up and run strong until she warmed up and then would quit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testing Coils 7 years 11 months ago #12729

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
It's the engine heat that causes them to fail. As the coils warm the windings expand and any areas where the coil winding insulation has weekend will be exaggerated under engine heat
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Testing Coils 7 years 11 months ago #12730

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I thought the same; "why would all 3 coils fail at the same time?", but I had exactly the same symptoms as you, replaced the coils & it fixed the problem :)
Only dead fish go with the flow

Testing Coils 7 years 11 months ago #12733

• Scorpio2016
  • Scorpio2016's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Okay, I'm glad to hear that it happens. Pretty strange though.Guess I'll go for the eBay coils. You guys are great!

Testing Coils 7 years 10 months ago #12742

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Interesting stuff have just gone through those checks on the original coils with the fixed HT leads. BUT what if the coils are 3 ohm coils that a lot of us have upgraded to what readings would be expected then across the secondary windings I notice a big difference when checking albeit consistent, original coils are averaging 14 ohms, upgrades 11.5 Ohms. which is below the manual reccomendations
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Testing Coils 7 years 10 months ago #12743

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Mark wrote: Interesting stuff have just gone through those checks ohttp://www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/welcome-mat/1838-testing-coils/reply/12742?quote=1#n the original coils with the fixed HT leads. BUT what if the coils are 3 ohm coils that a lot of us have upgraded to what readings would be expected then across the secondary windings I notice a big difference when checking albeit consistent, original coils are averaging 14 ohms, upgrades 11.5 Ohms. which is below the manual reccomendations

Aftermarket ignition coils fall in to a category I like to call "Black Art". One of the first upgrades people want to do to hype up their bike is upgrade the ignition coils to get a hotter spark. Coil manufacturers prey on those who want the hotter spark and then they go and make a product which"guarantees" a hotter spark in an attempt to sell their product. There's a lot of engineering that goes in to the electronic design of an ignition coil and I'm not the guy to post that type of information. I'd leave that up to Trikebldr because he has a much stronger background understanding of this topic than I.

So just some fundamental basics here. We have primary windings and secondary windings in a coil. The primary winding will have a certain number of turns let's call it X and the secondary winding will have a certain number of turns let's call them Y. The output voltage of a coil will equal the input voltage times the secondary windings divided by the primary windings. So if the input voltage was 10 volts and there was 1 primary winding and the secondary winding was 10 windings, then 10 volts times Y divided by X = the output voltage 100 volts.

So back to the question. The primary winding could be any number of turns and the secondary winding could be any number of turns. The diameter of the wire in each of the windings can be any diameter. The resistance of the wire in each of the windings is dependent on the length of the wire and the diameter of the wire. Based on all of the variables I've identified here. The question of what you'd expect to see when testing your aftermarket coils - the only place to look for the proper resistance would be specs as laid out by the manufacturer of the coil, not the specs as listed in the shop manual.

Trikebldr had a very interesting post on this topic about a year ago delving into the theory of the coils and ran into some health issues and didn't finish the "lesson" There's a lot to this topic and what I've just posted is about as basic as kindergarden electronics but it's enough to try to help explain or give an answer to the question asked here. We'd be blessed if Trikebldr finished off his post on the subject. It's a fascinating subject for some of us, and a flying lead balloon for others. Ideally, it would be great to just come up with "the ultimate fix" for the coil issues on these machines instead of everybody doing different things.

We always refer to the resistance of the primary windings on our bikes as being the critical number since too low of a resistance and you'll fry the igniter. Too high of a resistance and you'll end up with a weak spark. What's really important is to not draw too many amps on the primary windings since the internals of the igniter can't handle the load. The voltage in the system is system voltage which should be around 14.2 volts as a standard. The resistance is the value based on the resistance of the coil and the other items in the primary circuit. Amperage drawn in a circuit is equal to the voltage of the circuit divided by the resistance of the circuit. Mess with the voltage or the resistance and there will be an effect on the amperage drawn in the circuit.

Hope this helps,
KB

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds