Ignition Coils Advice Please... 7 years 9 months ago #13502

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Well that didn't work :blink:

It's eBay item number: 252011230952

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Coils Advice Please... 7 years 9 months ago #13504

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
yes, those are the ones but, as you can see, you will need to fabricate some brackets.

My brackets were a long "L" shape. with a threaded rod welded to the top of the "L" and parallel to the bottom of the "L". This thread is long enough to go through the metal core of the coil with a nylock type nut on it.

There is another threaded rod welded to the bottom of the "L" protruding downwards. This then uses the original nuts and washers through the frame mounting plate (1 over and 2 under I think).

I've just checked hundreds of photos and I don't have any of the coils!
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Ignition Coils Advice Please... 7 years 9 months ago #13506

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
okay cheers - think I might go with the Honda coils as it seems less hassle plus they're a lot less expensive. :)

Ignition Coils Advice Please... 7 years 7 months ago #14251

• Scorpio2016
  • Scorpio2016's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Pulled into a parking lot today and the thing just died. Turns over fine but absolutely no spark. My coils are new so is my igniter gone? I checked prices on igniters and I would need to rob a bank to buy one.

Ignition Coils Advice Please... 7 years 7 months ago #14253

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76

Scorpio2016 wrote: Pulled into a parking lot today and the thing just died. Turns over fine but absolutely no spark. My coils are new so is my igniter gone? I checked prices on igniters and I would need to rob a bank to buy one.

That sucks to hear. You may want to double check everything before ponying up for a new igniter. Connections, wires, ground, fuses etc. There is a testing procedure in the supplementary portion of the shop manual. I'm not sure which model/year you have. As an example, the 81 model description and trouble shooting is on page 326. I think it is somewhere on the site for download but I'm not sure where. I could put it up in my Dropbox and send you the link if you can't get it elsewhere.

Ignition Coils Advice Please... 7 years 7 months ago #14259

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Scorpio2016 wrote: Pulled into a parking lot today and the thing just died. Turns over fine but absolutely no spark. My coils are new so is my igniter gone? I checked prices on igniters and I would need to rob a bank to buy one.

I ended up sending my igniter to Carmo Electronics to have tested. The tests described in the manual more often than not failed with both my $60 multimeters. The guy at Carmo said those tests quite often show a frazzled unit when in actual fact they are ok.

Kz1300 A1-a2

That is the link for A1-A1 models but they do all the KZ's.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds