• Page:

TOPIC:

Opinions wanted - Which coils should I use? 7 years 10 months ago #12465

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I'm wondering which coils would be best for my bike.

The 81 which is going to be scrapped for parts has Nology coils ART. NR. 3561 04. They have brand new wires and the proper resistor plug caps.

The 79 had Accel Harley Super Coils 140403S. They have huge ugly yellow wires and Accel plug caps.

Is there any advantage either way. If I swap the Nology coils over I'll have to figure out the wiring nightmare that the previous owner performed on them.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opinions wanted - Which coils should I use? 7 years 10 months ago #12467

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I used the accel coils with the big ugly yellow wires LOL, but I fitted NGK plug caps. This set up has so far been very reliable, and I don't have any starting problems with it.
Z1300 UK
Attachments:

Opinions wanted - Which coils should I use? 7 years 10 months ago #12469

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
LEDKZ1300- you really should go to the Buildblog tab and get into the "David's technical article" and get your head wrapped around the section on coils. The igniters on these bikes are really sensitive to the primary resistance of the coils. Too high a resistance and the output is a weak spark. Too low a resistance and you'll fry the igniter. Without knowing the resistance of the Nology coils or the Accel coils it's really hard to advise you on which set of coils to use. Nology I know for sure make coils with 3 OHM resistance and about 5 other resistance levels. Not sure about the Accel coils but I'm sure they also make coils with different primary resistances. You need to check the coils you have with a good digital multimeter.

Opinions wanted - Which coils should I use? 7 years 10 months ago #12470

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
It appears the Accel coils I already have on it are the correct part number as listed in the article. This bike was running just fine before I had it taken apart. Just smoked really bad.

So for the short term I'll live with the ugly yellow wires and caps. I may be able to fit my new NGK caps which would be nice.

Thanks!

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds