TOPIC:

Z1300 / KZ1300 Coil Upgrade. Pete F 8 years 1 month ago #11151

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Found the information below in my old PC files recently and thought some of you may find it useful.

I wrote this on request for the UK Owners Site many years ago...........so here goes......please feel free to move it and use it anywhere you like on this Owners Site.

AW82 TR1 Coil Upgrade for Z & KZ1300.

Q. Why upgrade ?
A. The original 1300 coils do not have replaceable HT Leads, the AW82 coils do. The original coils give a very weak “governed spark”, the AW82 give a far hotter & stronger spark which is better for starting & general running.
Q Where do I find AW82 Coils.
A. Ebay, Gumtree or a breakers yard. They don’t need to be new, just in good visible condition with no cracks or damaged terminals. Ideally test with a meter if possible before fitting just incase. They were fitted as standard to early 80’s Honda models including CB900F/CB750F/CB750FZ/CBX1000/CB650 & many others. They need AW82 TR1 stamped on them.

Equipment list to carry out this upgrade.
3 x Good AW82 Coils. Should be tested & show around 2.4 ohms.
6 Feet of good quality copper core 7mm wide HT (high tension) Lead.
6 x FEMALE spade terminals (crimp are fine but solder even better!).
2 Feet of yellow electrical wire 10 amp minimum.
1 x Foot of each GREEN & BLACK & BLUE electrical wire 10 amp minimum.
3 x Bullet connectors to extend each colour wire above to reach the AW82 coils.
About 1 to 1 ½ hours time & some good background music !!
Someone who does not mind being sworn at if you get it wrong………quite important !!

These AW82 coils are the exact same shape & size as the originals & the mountings are the same so are a direct fit replacement for the old coils.

Each of the old original coils has a HOT (or +) wire with a bullet connector. These 3 wires will be BLACK / GREEN / BLUE for correct firing order & come from the main wiring harness. THESE DO NOT CHANGE but you need to extend them slightly & fit FEMALE SPADE CONNECTORS in place of the bullets connectors to fit the new AW82 Coils. If you look carefully at the AW82 coils you will see each spade connector has a + or – stamped next to it. +is HOT & - is COLD wiring feed.

You then need to remove or just disconnect the BALLAST RESISTER (small metal box normally located left side if frame up near coils). This has one wire into it (either pink or yellow) and 3 wires out that go to the COLD (or -) pole of each coil. Disconnect these 3 cold wires. Next, trace the yellow or pink wire going TO the resistor back to the main harness and make a 3 way loom from this one feed...........one wire for each coil & fit a female spade terminal on the end of each…………one for each COLD connection to the coil.

It is VITAL the Ballast Resister is bypassed when fitting AW82’s as if not it will damage your CDI unit.

In summary each AW82 coil needs a YELLOW wire for COLD - and either a BLUE/BLACK or GREEN wire for HOT +.

Job done.!!!

Pete F
(Oct 2013)
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Z1300 / KZ1300 Coil Upgrade. Pete F 8 years 1 month ago #11158

• caddypat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
very detailed writeup. i am sure it will be useful. pat.

Z1300 / KZ1300 Coil Upgrade. Pete F 8 years 1 month ago #11160

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
did they do away with the ballast resister on later models like the DFI ?
stripped mine and didnt find one. it did have a right old missmatch of coils maybe its already been modified
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Z1300 / KZ1300 Coil Upgrade. Pete F 8 years 1 month ago #11161

• rickster
  • Thank you received: 5
I think electrex sell these coils not bad money i think also hi level have them in there catalogue

Z1300 / KZ1300 Coil Upgrade. Pete F 8 years 1 month ago #11163

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Pete, very useful write up - thanks.
Ive been considering swapping the OE coils for some Dyna's; but was not sure how to bypass the Ballast Resisters :unsure:
Now I know.
Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds