Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SPEEDO & REV COUNTER 10 years 4 months ago #743

• rob
  • rob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Does anyone know where to get replacement cluster needles. What about backing plate for speedo and rev counter. Would be good if someone could produce these. Any tips on removing the speedo and rev counter needles. :( :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SPEEDO & REV COUNTER 10 years 4 months ago #744

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Rob,

I have done this many times as have other owners.

Removing the needles can be tricky & they often fall apart in the process. Its best to do it in a warm temp.
MCG in Germany supply new needles, but its not just a case of slipping them back on..........it can be a long job getting them to run at the correct balance for speed & revs.
I bought a pair of old damaged clocks from a ZRX1100 with white needles & used them.......as it was cheaper than new neeldes. These are white rather than orange.

Hope that helps

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:

SPEEDO & REV COUNTER 10 years 4 months ago #746

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I got new needles from the german shop, he sent instructions with the needles, he said to mark the tacho "drum" when the needle is pointing at 4 or 5 with a felt pen, the mark should be on the drum and the cross piece so you can line them up later, or tape it in that position with masking tape or the like, but still mark it incase it moves, pop the old needle off using two teaspoons, sounds weird but they get right under and you can apply equal pressure, get the new needle and press it onto the shaft making sure the marks are lined up and the needle points at the reference point you have, this gives you the correct loading with the return spring, do the same with the speedo using a make at about the same angle as the tacho, easy and works well, so long as the originals are on and you can tell where the needle was. The german shop also has replacement backing plates.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Last edit: by kza13.

SPEEDO & REV COUNTER 10 years 4 months ago #749

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I bought new ones from MCG in Germany. Had a bit of trouble getting them in sync though. What I did with the tacho was to run the engine to normal temp then mark where the needle was. Then stopped the engine, removed the old needle then started it back up - meant I could play around with the position of the new needle while the bike was running.
The speedo was just trial end error !! :unsure:

SPEEDO & REV COUNTER 10 years 4 months ago #757

• Mikeyb
  • Thank you received: 0
what model has the 180 MPH speedometer. I live in the states and I cant find any. they all go to 85 . Its very annoying . I believe a six cylinder bike with 130hp should have a speedometer that reads more than 85 .

SPEEDO & REV COUNTER 10 years 4 months ago #758

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

Mikeyb wrote: what model has the 180 MPH speedometer. I live in the states and I cant find any. they all go to 85 . Its very annoying . I believe a six cylinder bike with 130hp should have a speedometer that reads more than 85 .

I've no doubt that Joan Claybrook just took note of your desire to thwart the intentions of the CSPC. Can't never have too many black lists. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Good luck with your search.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds