• Page:

TOPIC:

HEI ignition? 10 years 5 months ago #666

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
When I bought my bike this year I had wondered what those black modules were. I had assumed they were additional resistors because the bike has GM coils on it. The modules are mounted to an aluminum plate behind one of my side covers.

I just figured out through random browsing today that they're HEI ignition modules. If I have those then I must not have an igniter anywhere :(.

My question now is will I be able to complete an AW-82TRI coil conversion with those in there? I certainly wont be able to find an igniter anywhere much less pay for one so my options are slim. The modules don't appear to have anything protecting them from the elements either just exposed connections and such. I'll take some pics tonight of the setup and post them up tomorrow but any additional info would be awesome lol.

If it helps, one of the prior owners of my bike was this person: www.kzrider.com/component/joomgallery/kz...ing-kong-lives1-6699

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HEI ignition? 10 years 5 months ago #670

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Not sure what you mean by HEi Ignition.

Can you possibly post a pic of them.

What year & model is your 1300 ?

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

HEI ignition? 10 years 5 months ago #671

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK, just had a look at a pic of your bike & its an A1 or A2 model (ignition unit above clutch casing)

Very interested to se images of these "modules"

Pete F

HEI ignition? 10 years 4 months ago #702

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
My bike is a 1980 A model. The aluminum plate that these were mounted to were mounted to the right hand side of the bike behind the cover.

Sorry, I wasn't able to get any work done on my bike this weekend my wife&kids kept me busy lol. I can post links and pictures of the modules themselves. HEI generally stands for High energy ignition and from what I can tell a good setup can make a good replacement for an igniter and replaces points. I've done a bit of browsing and most of the data I could find came from kzrider.com's forums.

We should probably link to a writeup here in case there's anyone out there with a broken ingiter lol.

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio...heiModForPoints.html

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/35560...l=component&type=raw

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/376865-cs...l=component&type=raw

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/36877...nt&type=raw&start=20

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_energy_ignition

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/31212...l=component&type=raw

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/33630...l=component&type=raw
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mikez.

HEI ignition? 10 years 4 months ago #703

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
By what I can see, these additional components must only be used with the GM Coil Pack someone has fitted already. I am sure they have a purpose, but you dont need them to do the AW82 coil conversion.

I am assuming you have the round ignition pick up module on the RH side of the bike behind the cylinder block ? The wiring from this goes to the CDI unit.

If you want to fit the AW82 Coils, then all you need is the 4 wires coming out of the harness next to the coils behind the head stock (BLACK/GREEN/BLUE/YELLOW)

Next check the wiring to the CDI Unit has not been altered or changed.

Any other parts added for the GM coils should be discarded.

The ignition system on the 1300A1 + A2 is simplicity in itself & has very little wiring in the first place so you cannot really go wrong.
Compare what you have to what is shown in the K manual. The BALLAST RESISTER which lives up on the LH side of the frame near the headstock also needs to be discarded. This is mentioned in the AW82 coil upgrade instructions I posted.

Let us know how you get on !!!

Pete F

HEI ignition? 10 years 4 months ago #704

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Pete!
Yes my pickups are on the right hand side. Going to double check on all the wiring when I get home too.

As far as I can tell, the ingiter and coils were only replaced and the ballast is still in use. Rewiring it all should be simple once I get what I need in the mail.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds