• Page:

TOPIC:

Projector mod 8 years 11 months ago #7407

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
In my quest for better lighting I did this projector mod Picked up the rectangle headlight on Ebay and the projector as well. Did the mod I have to say night time lighting is vastly improved. Thought I would share with the community ;)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Projector mod 8 years 11 months ago #7408

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the post. Is the "projector" a brand or a model of a headlight? Why is it brighter?

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Projector mod 8 years 11 months ago #7410

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Well it's brighter due to it being a HID or high intensity discharge bulb inside the projector housing.The headlight came from a vendor called "tuningsupplier" and the projector beam came from a vendor called "neverland-us". I did the retrofit and when I had it apart I painted the reflector and projector surround with Krylon Fusion Satin black. As far as lighting goes it definitely has improved the light pattern and gives better lighting. It's pretty bright and looks pretty stylish. I have been getting a lot of positive feedback from people just walking by and friends of course. There are tutorials online on how to do a projector retrofit. A lot of the guys driving the ricers you know the slammed Honda's etc. They do this mod for looks. But the safety aspect was more my concern since I do a lot of night riding.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Last edit: by kennyb.

Projector mod 8 years 11 months ago #7414

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
An interesting mod. I like it. To see and be seen is really important. I won't ride without the headlight on. Having a single projector beam coming at you makes you want to ask the question "What IS that?" and knowing that people see the light and ask the question makes me believe "you've been seen" Safety at it's best.

Could you post some more details on the mod please.

Nice work Kennyb!!

Last edit: by Kawboy. Reason: add a line

Projector mod 8 years 11 months ago #7418

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Unfortunately I didn't take pics of me doing the mod :( Pretty straight forward. You need to put new headlight assy in the oven @ 300F degrees on top of a butcher block or scrap wood for 5 to 10 minutes to soften up the RTV so you can separate the lens from the reflector.

Second part of the mod you need to scuff up the surface of the reflector and projector housing with a scotch brite pad and clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and a tack cloth and then paint the color of your choice.I went with satin black.

After the paint has dried install the projector lens. Clean the inside of the housing and lens with alcohol and a tack cloth and reposition the lens to the housing. Now put the headlight assy back in the oven @ 300F for 5 minutes to soften up the rtv again.

Remove from the oven and press the lens back in to the housing so it makes a good seal. Common sense wear work gloves not oven mittens when you do this and you need to work fast during the initial separation and reassembly. Also make sure your wife or girlfriend is not home. Mine gets touchy when she sees me putting motorcycle parts in the oven ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Projector mod 8 years 11 months ago #7419

• Mellvis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone know if you can buy the kit already assembled? What kind of money was the project?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds