Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

Extra plug on a 1980 A-model 8 years 11 months ago #7454

• Mellvis
  • Mellvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Kawboy. So obvious I didn't even see it! I'll follow that suggestion as soon as I'm in the garage again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra plug on a 1980 A-model 8 years 11 months ago #7455

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Thanks KawBoy! Gonna have to give you a raise!
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Extra plug on a 1980 A-model 8 years 11 months ago #7457

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Hope the logic helps sort out the issue.
Kayboy

Extra plug on a 1980 A-model 8 years 11 months ago #7471

• Mellvis
  • Mellvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, as per your suggestion: I put a test light in the plug at the white with red tracer and removed each fuse, one by one, and the light remained on at all times. Key ON or OFF, it has constant power. I am lead to believe that it is a power supply for other options. We'll get it..... eventually.

Extra plug on a 1980 A-model 8 years 11 months ago #7474

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
could your wiring loom have come from a bike with the extra alternator (stator) on the left end of crank? This plug could be the charging lead from the second regulator/rectifier to the battery?
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Last edit: by zed_thirteen. Reason: typo/correction

Extra plug on a 1980 A-model 8 years 11 months ago #7475

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

zed_thirteen wrote: could your wiring loom have come from a bike with the extra alternator (stator) on the left end of crank? This plug could be the charging lead from the second regulator/rectifier to the battery?

Nice to see someone else chiming in here. Zed_thirteen thinking outside of the box. Anything is possible when working on a 35 year old machine especially when a number of people could have made "changes" including harnesses.

I've been pouring over the numerous wiring diagrams for hours trying to see the 4 pin connector with the white with red tracer, red and blue wire and I can't see it. the wiring associated with the second alternator appears to be a white with red tracer, brown wire and a black wire according to the supplement on the 1982's.

MellvisCan you upload a picture of the 4 pin plug in relationship with the rest of the harness and maybe we can help with identification based on location of the plug in the harness.

It's also good to know that the feed wire (white with red tracer) is hot all the time. That narrows it down considerably.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds