• Page:

TOPIC:

Mounting ignition coils under the seat 9 years 5 days ago #7134

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I'm in the process of mocking up a plate to mount my ignition coils where the tool tray would be fitted above the air box. Planning on using Dyna coils, the 3 ohm green ones. Before I get too far along I curious if anyone had done this before. I think a member here had a picture of 2 coils under the seat??? Is there room for 3?
1981 KZ1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mounting ignition coils under the seat 9 years 5 days ago #7135

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Have a look at this thread and you can see how "KZQ" our Administrator did his. The topic heading is air filter cap but a couple of threads down you'll find the info you're looking for.

www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/parts-bik...ir-filter-11012-1062

Last edit: by Kawboy. Reason: adding more info.

Mounting ignition coils under the seat 9 years 5 days ago #7137

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
I chose to put one coil in the stock location. I haven't had any problems with the different length wires. I'm told that a more modern ignition/computer would not tolerate hi tension wires of this length but the 1300 doesn't mind and I can take the cam cover off without moving any coils.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Mounting ignition coils under the seat 9 years 5 days ago #7139

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
That's the one, thanks. It looks like I can get a 3rd on in front of the two you show mounted in the tool tray. Or would they only fit in the back portion of the tray? Is there enough clearance to he seat put a third one in front? I don't have the tray. I was going to make a plate.

There some cases in the automotive world where the coil pack is not tolerant of bad spark plug connections or poorly matched wires. But it's the coil pack that cant take it, these are usually integrated ignition module/coil pack jobs... a General Motors Quad 4 comes to mind. In these bikes the IC module doesn't care beyond the resistance of the ignition coil so it shouldn't matter. Id like to put them under the seat to keep them cool, and to make service easier.
1981 KZ1300

Mounting ignition coils under the seat 9 years 4 days ago #7143

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Have you looked at the aw82 coils much easier to do and work fine.
aw82 install

Last edit: by aus_z1300.

Mounting ignition coils under the seat 9 years 2 days ago #7185

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The aw82's look good, but I had a Dyna coil laying around already and picked up two more. They're not too much more expensive, they run less than $60 each new. Plus I already run a set on my other bike (kz650), so now both motorcycles will run the same ignition coils.

The 3 Ohm Dyna coils actually measure 2.6 Ohm, I checked my stock coils and the ballast resistor in series and they measure 2.7 Ohms.

Here is what I came up with to mount them.

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds