Electrical

TOPIC:

"Houston, we have no ignition!" 9 years 2 months ago #6409

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

stocktoy wrote: I've dibs on the third row, I'll also be eating caramel popcorn and homemade salsa

This made me LOL! One of the beauties of the internet is that we all have front row, in-yer-face seats to all that goes on! You are all about 30 inches from me every time I click-on! I just wish I could somehow use my white-board and lots of hand jestures and props to illustrate my points.

Now, pass me some chips and that salsa! Want some Luzianne sweet tea to go with that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Houston, we have no ignition!" 9 years 2 months ago #6410

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Over on the Gold Wing Facts forums I have posted the history of my '76 Wing, touching superficially on some of the issues involved with ignition needs on higher performance engines (Yes! Our bikes are very high performance!). Here is the link to that thread to wet your appetite on some of the issues and how to overcome them. Sorry, but it is about a H...O...N...D...A...!!!

www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-...ear-old-hot-rod.html

"Houston, we have no ignition!" 9 years 2 months ago #6411

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

trikebldr wrote: ..Sorry, but it is about a H...O...N...D...A...!!!

Just for the record Bruce. When mentioned here, the correct spelling is H...I...L...D...A...!!! :woohoo: :evil:

I know, I'm off topic. Sorry just couldn't resist!

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

"Houston, we have no ignition!" 9 years 2 months ago #6412

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108

trikebldr wrote: Over on the Gold Wing Facts forums I have posted the history of my '76 Wing, touching superficially on some of the issues involved with ignition needs on higher performance engines (Yes! Our bikes are very high performance!). Here is the link to that thread to wet your appetite on some of the issues and how to overcome them. Sorry, but it is about a H...O...N...D...A...!!!

www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-...ear-old-hot-rod.html

Hey, no apologies needed. My other bikes are a '77 GL1000 (soon to be traded for a yellow '76) and an '84 GL1200 Standard. Always saw a lot of potential in the early flat-4s, but I can't bring myself to modify a bike before owning at least one that's 100% stock. Good stuff!

"Houston, we have no ignition!" 9 years 2 months ago #6413

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Like I said, Bill, I won't get bogged down in any debates! LOL If you like Hilda, then Hilda she will be called!

Lucien, in case you ever get a hair to try something like my hot rod, I do still have the carb/manifold/linkage setup! A YELLOW 1000, huh? SO COOL! Mine was the boring red because a guy got to the dealer about an hour before me and left with their last yellow one! They also had one more Limited version, with it's almost-black dark wine red and gold accent scheme, but I couldn't justify the added expense for a rolling laboratory! You just gotta post lots of pix of that yeller one, please?

"Houston, we have no ignition!" 9 years 2 months ago #6416

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is a basic list of some of the terminology that I will use. There may be more later, and I will edit this list to add more as it comes up. If you don't understand a term, just ask and we can add it here with a brief explanation. None of this is listed alphabetically, but rather by groups of pertinence.

Steady-state- refers to a circuit that holds a constant voltage and a constant current output, no matter what it is driving. Mig welders work like this.

AC- alternating current

DC- direct current

Dielectric- any material that resists the flow of electricity, including air.

Voltage- electrical "pressure"

Current- the flow of electrons, in amps

Resistance- Anything that impedes the flow of electrons. Measured in ohms.

Impedance- Sometimes referred to as reluctance, but not often. It is a measurement of resistance from reactions of AC powered components, usually transformers of one sort or another.

Capacitance- The ability to store electrons, much like a balloon stores air. Measured in farads, but more commonly used sizes are measured in micro-farads.

Tuned circuit- When you join a capacitor to a transformer or coil, either series or parallel, you now have a circuit that is "tuned" to a specific AC frequency. At this frequency it will pass AC current readily, but the farther away from that frequency, it tends to block AC current flow.

Inductance- Current induced in the windings of a coil by a developing or collapsing magnetic field around that coil. This is the major principle by which our ignition coils convert low voltage to much higher voltages.

Kickback Inductance- The resultant current induced in the coil after the magnetic field has already built in the coil as current flows, and is now collapsing after the current has been turned off. Older point-type ignition systems actually used the kickback inductance to fire the plug! Modern CDI systems use the inductance (buildup) form of the magnetic field to fire the plug.

Power- The measure of the amount of force electricity can do, measured in watts. It is the product of voltage multiplied by current (amps). One volt pushing one amp of current produces one watt of power. Thus, 12 volts pushing 4 amps creates 48 watts of power. In a house, if you have a 120 watt light-bulb, it means there would be one amp flowing through it if it were powered with 120 volts.

CDI- Capacitive discharge ignition. Converts 12 volts into a higher voltage, stores it in a capacitor, then discharges it into the primary of a coil to give a stronger spark.

MSD, or msd- MSD is the brand name of a line of ignition, and other, products produced by ACC. "msd" refers to a multiple spark discharge ignition system. It is a derivative of the simpler capacitive discharge ignition by creating multiple sparks in a row for more complete combustion.

"Soup"- This term mostly refers to the mixture that enters the cylinder to be ignited by the spark plug, but it also includes several entities that affect spark requirements, like the air/fuel ratio, fuel quality/additives/octane rating, air quality, air density, air temp, fuel temp, completeness of atomization, compression pressure, cylinder temp, cylinder condition, shape of the combustion chamber and even the shape of the spark plug tip.

Last edit: by trikebldr.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds