Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rev counter problem 3 years 3 months ago #28351

• ogri211
  • ogri211's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
I was looking to connect my rev counter last night when I couldn't find where to connect the cable to the engine. After some investigation I discovered there was no drive and no tapped hole in the cam cover where it should be. The engine fitted to my bike is a later fuel injected engine fitted with carbs, looking at photos I took when the engine was stripped down it appears that the casting is on the camshaft for the drive but the worm is not machined, is this normal with the ZG or is it possible that my engine has originally came from a Voyager. I am not wanting to go down the road of changing camshaft etc as my engine has a very low mileage and there is no wear, has anyone hooked up an electronic rev counter that works from the coil and could be set for the 6 cylinder engine.
Z1300 A4,Z900 RS,Suzuki GT750A, Buell S1 Lightning, Royal Enfield Diesel. And Z900A4 on the rebuild.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rev counter problem 3 years 3 months ago #28353

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
It sounds like you have a Voyager engine as the ZG has the mechanical drive exactly the same as the carb KZ / Z. Any aftermarket electronic motorcycle tacho will do the job, they just count the pulses from one of the coils, although remember our bikes run a wasted spark, so make sure the tacho is programmable for that.
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogri211

Last edit: by Phil.

Rev counter problem 3 years 3 months ago #28355

• ogri211
I'm thinking if I can get an analogue one I could mount the workings of it in the clocks and fit the original face on it .
Z1300 A4,Z900 RS,Suzuki GT750A, Buell S1 Lightning, Royal Enfield Diesel. And Z900A4 on the rebuild.

Rev counter problem 3 years 3 months ago #28356

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

ogri211 wrote: I'm thinking if I can get an analogue one I could mount the workings of it in the clocks and fit the original face on it .

Might be easier to get a cam and cover from a KZ or ZG 1300 - cams might (and that's a big might) be the same except for the tach drive ???
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Rev counter problem 3 years 3 months ago #28357

• ogri211
Thanks but I think fitting a digital rev counter will be Easyer and cheaper than replacing 2 camshaft a cam cover and a tachometer drive and having to reshim 12 valves,when I have a very low mileage engine it should only involve me changing faces and needle and I can buy a cheap tachometer to experiment with the spare set of clocks I have. I will report back when I try it.

Rev counter problem 3 years 3 months ago #28380

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Well ideally you'd only have to change one cam and if you had the right cover, it would likely have the drive already. Shims - assuming the cams are the same grind (granted that a big assumption), you shouldn't have to change shims, but you need to check/change shims pretty regularly anyway so no work saved there.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds