• Page:

TOPIC:

Honda CBX 3 years 8 months ago #27566

• biltonjim
  • biltonjim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Kawboy, you clearly have a liking for the CBX. Can I ask you to tell us what factors influenced your decision to buy one?
At the time the CBX was launched, there was also the choice of the GS1000 and XS1100 - did you consider those machines?
When you rode the CBX for the first time, what were your impressions?
We know that you have a KZ1300 project, but have you ridden a standard bike, and if so, how did its characteristics compare to the CBX?
As one who has never ridden either of these bikes, it always fascinates me to hear from those fortunate folk who have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by biltonjim.

Honda CBX 3 years 8 months ago #27572

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Well, since you asked.....
at the time, there was nothing else that sounded like the CBX when running at 8,000 + RPM, even with stock exhaust. Put a 6 in to 1 Kerker on it- absolute pure sex !!!
The Candy Glory Red with the black accent for me was magic. And last but not least was the fact that the bike cradled that massive engine as if offering it up to the masses. 6 cylinder and 24 valve is a dream for a motor head.
The pluses - pulled like a freight train above 6000 rpm. Turned heads like no other thanks to that massive engine.
The minus' - If you wanted to pass someone at highway speeds, you had to drop down to 3rd to get it moving. That could also be a plus since everyone had to turn their head to see what the F was passing them. Then there was the famous rear end skip out. Push it through a turnpike at 90 mph and hang on for dear life. first time it happened, I had to change my underwear. Jesus !! it was like riding a bull calve.

Haven't ridden the 1300 or one like it so I can't compare. Had 3 500 triple Kaws and 2 750 widow makers and learned early how to recover from a high speed wobble, so when the rear end skip out happened on the CBX, I was somewhat prepared and didn't lose my head. Also had a 350 triple Kaw and could burn the tires off of it in 1500 kilometers from pushing it hard in the corners. Ate up more footrest rubbers than I could count on that bike.
Always wanted an Eddie Lawson Replica, just never got around to it. Although the seat may have been to low for me but chances are if I did get one, I'd still be riding it. Nothing like rolling on in 3rd gear and pulling the front wheel off the ground at 80 mph. (Did that on the 750 triple and dropped the front wheel on the trunk lid of a buddies 'Cuda for Shits and Giggles. (That was the young crazy me)
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Honda CBX 3 years 8 months ago #27577

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I anticipated a comprehensive reply, and wasn’t disappointed! Thank you.

I still remember the first time I read about the CBX in the motorcycling press. I was awe-struck that the Japanese could mass produce such a complex machine .But of course Honda’s six-cylinder GP bikes were even more exotic, so they obviously had some brilliant engineers.
Yes, the view of the engine, without any frame tubes obscuring it really is impressive.
Regarding the Kawasaki two stroke triples, I was never tempted by those because always, in the back of my mind, is the thought of an engine seizure and the consequence thereof if you ride a two-stroke. What was the power delivery like on those. - does it come in with a whallop?

Honda CBX 3 years 8 months ago #27579

• giorgi3
  • Thank you received: 7
I road a Kaw 750 triple 2 stroker many years ago. Scared the crap out of me..Crank the throttle and it wanted to pull a wheelie in any gear.

Last edit: by giorgi3.

Honda CBX 3 years 8 months ago #27581

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

biltonjim wrote: I anticipated a comprehensive reply, and wasn’t disappointed! Thank you.

I still remember the first time I read about the CBX in the motorcycling press. I was awe-struck that the Japanese could mass produce such a complex machine .But of course Honda’s six-cylinder GP bikes were even more exotic, so they obviously had some brilliant engineers.
Yes, the view of the engine, without any frame tubes obscuring it really is impressive.
Regarding the Kawasaki two stroke triples, I was never tempted by those because always, in the back of my mind, is the thought of an engine seizure and the consequence thereof if you ride a two-stroke. What was the power delivery like on those. - does it come in with a whallop?

When I was a kid, my Dad used to tell me to go get the bathroom scale and bring it to the kitchen. He would squeeze it in his hands and show me that a man could squeeze over 200 lbs, then hand it to me, to see what I could do. I was good for about 125 lbs when I was 10 years old. Later when I was 17 he pulled out the bathroom scale and told me to prove my manhood. I managed over 250 lbs and of course ruined his reputation since he barely managed 200 lbs. After riding the triples for a few years, old comes the bathroom scale for more testing.and I buried the dial at + 300 lbs.

So why am I telling this story?? I took all I had to hang on to the 750 when I buried the throttle. Never dyno'd the beast but I had ported and polished the cylinders, shave the heads, added Denso pipes and Lectron carbs. I'm sure it was over 100 HP since the mod specs I followed usually produced 120 HP, and at 430 lbs was cantankerous to say the least. Add the smell of Klotz Techniplate 2 stroke oil and you knew I had been there, even if you didn't see me.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Honda CBX 3 years 8 months ago #27582

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I wish there was more conversation like this on the forum to fill in the pauses in cam chain tensioner posts! That’s a great tale, Kawboy. I think there’s a book in you, just waiting to be written. Whatever the subject it would surely be very entertaining!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds