• Page:

TOPIC: Frame from USA to Canada question

Frame from USA to Canada question 2 weeks 6 hours ago #25739

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 239
I was talking with Ritchie, who posted recently about parts available, and we came to an agreement about the frame. It's just a frame - not a bike. There is no title attached to it, but it has a VIN sticker and the usual serial number stamped on the neck.

My question is - do I still need to go through all the same hassle as with importing a bike, or take it across the border like other spare parts for the bike?
Since it's not a bike, would a bill of sale be enough? 0r is it relevant or can be even written since there is no title attached to it? I'm thinking just in case.

Thank you,
Stan
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
assembling engine, chassis & electrical from 79 - 89 parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frame from USA to Canada question 1 week 6 days ago #25741

• Kawboy
  • Thank you received: 569
I think that if I were in your shoes Stan, I would first talk with U.S. customs regarding the export of the frame and see if a bill of sale would suffice. Some of the States don't register vehicles and only transfer ownership through bill of sales. U.S. customs normally want the "paperwork" at the point of exporting (which as I understand it is only 5 crossing points between U.S. and Canada) at the border 3 days before exporting so they can verify that the "vehicle" is not stolen and that there are no liens against the vehicle before allowing it out of the country. If all of that is good then it can go.
Next , I would talk to the Ministry of Transport in B.C and see if they are willing to title the frame with just a bill of sale. If they are, then you're all set. For reference I had an old XL100 Honda that was never registered and asked Services Ontario about registering. Because no registration was obtained at the initial purchase from the dealer, Services Ontario needed a sworn affidavit from me declaring that point. I went to a lawyer and swore out the affidavite (cost me $25) and presented the bill of sale with a copy of the affidavit and got an ownership issued.
Hope that helps,
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Frame from USA to Canada question 1 week 6 days ago #25742

• Bucko
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 96
Stan: All US export process issues aside (which may be troublesome without a title).....

From: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/know-before-importing.html

"May I voluntarily declare a vehicle as “parts only” for the purpose of importation into Canada?

You may voluntarily declare a vehicle for “parts only” if it meets all admissibility requirements under normal conditions. Other conditions may apply to vehicles deemed inadmissible. If you want to import vehicles as “parts only”, contact Transport Canada at 1-800-333-0371 or by e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

When a vehicle is declared for parts only, it receives a non-repairable status that cannot be changed. This means that the vehicle can never be licensed for the road in Canada. Transport Canada shares this information with every Provincial and Territorial licensing authority in Canada via the Interprovincial Records Exchange (IRE). "
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by Bucko.

Frame from USA to Canada question 1 week 6 days ago #25743

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 239
You may voluntarily declare a vehicle for “parts only” if it meets all admissibility requirements under normal conditions

This is what I was aiming at - having this frame for "parts only", namely the brackets with frame sections. I got a bunch of brackets for my project from Paul, but some still missing and some I could cut off saving more since I could cut right into the frame instead of cutting them off the frame. This way I would have complete brackets. Another possibility - transplant onto my titled frame all the good sections with brackets, all in one piece? So much work and money could be saved.

I will make phone calls and see what they say. It would be good on the other hand to be able to give an old frame a title at one point. Especially that the model number and year would not matter at all since I will be completing another bike all from random parts. Basically - building it from one bare cylinder block up.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
assembling engine, chassis & electrical from 79 - 89 parts

Last edit: by StanG.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds