• Page:

TOPIC:

Classic bike exhibit Vancouver, June 23, 2019 4 years 9 months ago #24531

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
A very interesting thing on this 1920's Harley is the optional speedometer, and how it is attached.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Classic bike exhibit Vancouver, June 23, 2019 4 years 9 months ago #24532

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
In retrospective, a couple pics of a couple of my bikes from the past.

The 1954 AJS (if I remember correctly) I had in the early 1980's. Back in the cold war era, behind the iron curtain in Poland, I purchased it for US$200 and that was a lot of money. The price of a 1/2 liter of vodka on the black market was $1! The government price was maybe $0.25? The bike ran but had to be looked at, and I ended up totally rebuilding the engine. Lots of things done, with some very funky solutions. Like the valve guides machined from a solid chunk of bronze, the valves machined from a racing Java motorcycle, the cylinder sleeve made from scratch as well, the piston was a brand new of the era car called Warszawa machined to fit. Event the crank shaft rod bearing journal was made from scratch. I sold it to my best friend for the same $200 before coming to Canada. He had an accident and sold it to someone, I am not sure what's the story later.

Here our Naval Academy's dormitory basement garage, and a few bikes in the adjacent container. From the left, AJS and me, next our technical bike support guy and club member Wiesiek (he had lots of experience, knowledge and contacts for any job and parts, also a great painter), BMW, and NSU which you can barely see. Royal Enfield on the bench (it was a single 500 cc.)

Royal Enfield 750 twin being fired up by a friend Wiesiek. You can see a piece of a handlebar in the right foreground - that's a Russian boxer bike Ural.

This is my 1983 Honda Magna V45 750 cc. What a great and easy riding bike! It was my daily, literally, rider in the 90's. Got it for free and gave away for free when leaving Japan. 0ne day I'd like to get it's big brother - a V65 Magna. That's a 1100 cc bike very similar to what Vmax has to offer, but a smooth comfortable cruiser. That's for the love of V4 engines.

Both photos probably circa 1995 in my city in Japan - Wakayama. Best days of my life in many ways.

Last edit: by StanG.

Classic bike exhibit Vancouver, June 23, 2019 4 years 9 months ago #24533

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
A bit off topic but connected. Just a couple photos of my bike 'gang' in Japan.

Left bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, and my V45 next to it to the right. Hard to believe that that Vulcan is a classic bike by now! We used to go for a full days ride once a month. Sometimes a group of just 10 bikes, sometimes 20 or so. The whole club had maybe 40 members.

We had more members, this is just a quick random photo from our hang out place - a small restaurant called Aoyagi (blue goat) run buy the guy on the right.

A photo when these few came by to my art exhibit. I think 1996.

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

Classic bike exhibit Vancouver, June 23, 2019 4 years 9 months ago #24534

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Thanks for posting photos of the Trev Deeley show. I had intended to go but some stuff came up and I couldn't make it.

PS: Other photos are interesting too :)
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Classic bike exhibit Vancouver, June 23, 2019 4 years 9 months ago #24535

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
great pictures and good memories - thanks stan
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Classic bike exhibit Vancouver, June 23, 2019 4 years 9 months ago #24536

• Vilhelm
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you for showing some pictures of those fine old motorcycles. I found it specially interesting to see that a Nimbus has found its way to Canada. If somebody do not know, the Nimbus is a danish motorcycle, or rather THE danish motorcycle. Many of these are still alive here in Denmark, 750 c.c., 4 cylinders 22 HP, made from 1933- 1956 with only small alterations over the years.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds