Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

COLD and more cold 5 years 2 months ago #23260

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I grew up in communism behind the iron curtain. We were creative because of no spoils of the 'western world', so I can't really relate to these problems. I think especially young people these times are mentally lazy and have no imagination. It's the instant gratification culture, that comes with a click, and even with dads who operate with a swipe of a card and smart phones - it's a lost battle because they do the same. It's the requirement of modern times. Even Amish get corrupt, haha I've never heard of allergies or depression before I came to Canada in 1986. We were prescribed 50 push ups for feeling down, and we were strong. Now everybody gets offended. I have a feeling that these days, if a younger person gets involved with 'the machines', it's more to look cool than trying to find the spirit that lives in the old machinery. The older fathers don't help changing it because of the chase after the business that they do. Sorry to say this, but I have no faith and I know my bike will be a pile of rust again in another 20 years or so. I have no children to even try to teach them anything. Just look at ambitious plans like in Canada - having no fossil fuel powered vehicles in less than 20 years from now. It's a dead end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

COLD and more cold 5 years 2 months ago #23283

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Frank833 wrote: I’ve got the shop heated to 65. No problem here!

On the “no young ones to take over”. There are a few. My son is 19. He rides a 1982 Yamaha XZ550. It was a non-runner for 10 years when he got it. He has done all the work, including ditching the problematic factory carb, casting a manifold and converting to a Weber. He goes to uni in Lubbock and the old fart at the local motorcycle shop loves him. Someone that does his own work and doesn’t have to have the latest and greatest.

He also does the wrenching on his race car when he’s in town and at the track. Along with his “hot rod” which is a Lotus with more electronics than any factory Lotus.

I blame the lack of interest in young people on the Dads. To many have gotten in the habit of either paying someone to do everything, or they do it themselves and don’t teach. I’ve always been happy to let the boy do the interesting bits while I cleaned up or fetched tools.

Good on your 19 year old to get the Yamaha running . I have 4 boys and none of them are interested in bikes. Maybe if social media didn't exist , the situation may be different . Initially for many of us in the 60's the bike provided cheap transport to visit friends. That has been replaced by texting. I had to ask my parents if I could use the phone. And like modern cars, bikes don't need fixing and fussing. I had a Vincent 500 Comet - the single . I had to work at keeping that going.

Instant gratification doesn't work so well with old stuff anyway -either people, bikes or 10 rows of beautifully restored old bikes just sitting there doing nothing. How many times can you do that without losing interest . They need action , hence the racing.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

COLD and more cold 5 years 2 months ago #23284

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
It's covered in snow here as well since a couple days. Can't complain - first days of snow this winter! And I know it will pass. I've been riding until three days ago.

Kawboy - Tasmania, New Zealand, in my mind these are perfect climate wise. And beautiful. I've never been there, but a month in close by Australia in winter in the coldest part of the season proved it's a great climate.
And I love kangaroo meat! :)

With the classic bikes tradition, and similar themes, I tend to go way back and project it, adding all current 'additions' on the future. Times change. How many Ford T models we see on the roads, even if they were in pristine condition? Not many 1940's even planes flying around. Even the past 10 years. Let's say computers. 350 Mhz based laptops - how many around on Starbucks tables? Sure, not really the same as a 100 MPh on a 50 years old bike is in a way a 100 MPh on a 2019 bike. But tastes change, service and parts availability change, society and business demands change, and so hobbies change. Things, especially like technology, pass. Even more drastic than hairstyles and outfits, as these come back in waves as trends. I think there will always be a group cherishing the old machines even a hundred years from now, if available, but I think it will never go beyond some events like current air show or visits to an antique bike event. Looking at them more like at ancient antiques from China now than things to ride on the public streets. The huge decline in motorcycles popularity is noticed in Canada. Especially East. Now, with even more snow and lower temperatures, this will decline even further. And other disrupting things will pop up along the way. New technologies, new family dynamics, social dynamics, maybe wars? As the 'old' generation dies off, new takes over, a lot of specific nostalgia will get lost. It's been like this forever - the generational differences to which we in fact can't relate. Now imagine next, and next generation. Add all those technological, ecological and social changes, and I think in a 100 years there will be very little left of the KZ1300 and all the other classic bikes. Except maybe in museums and some rare event for spectators. Hell, Milliards V12 KZ and other of his creations are already collecting dust at a museum, not carving the roads! What about 50 years from now? Just imagine.

The technological advancement is a very fast process, and it's speeding up exponentially. The human spirit and soul can't keep up with it, and is being lost. Without it, the appreciation for the old machines with souls will die. Kind of a grim perspective, but that's how I feel.

Last edit: by StanG.

COLD and more cold 5 years 2 months ago #23287

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
This is a really interesting thread, and I compliment all who have contributed such well written, thoughtful posts.

COLD and more cold 5 years 2 months ago #23292

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I lived in Australia for 7 years. Two of my kids where born there. Wonderful place, great people.

If I had the funds, I’d spend summer in Texas and summer in Australia. Winter is depressing....

COLD and more cold 5 years 2 months ago #23294

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
You guys from the USA, Canada and Australia are soooooooo lucky, with weather and many other things.
My sister visited Oz 15 years ago with her husband to work a 1 year contract in Sydney...........and she never came back ! She said she would be mad to come home to the stinking UK after experiencing Oz.........and she is right.
I visited Vegas every year from 1999 to 2008 on business, but always stayed a week longer and hired a bike to get out and about as much as possible and really, really enjoyed it and never wanted to come back to the miserable UK.

The Uk is an awful place to live and getting worse all the time. It stinks and is overflowing with people who should not be here and feeding off our hard earned tax cash, but the weak and useless "so called" government just allow to come in, steal our cars, break into our homes and stab people on the streets with knives........these are NOT people who were born in the UK.
And now we have the Brexit Fiasco.............again being very badly managed by a less than useless bunch of idiots who are not in touch with reality.....loss loss loss.

Stay where you are and enjoy it you lucky people and enjoy the weather you get too !

Sincere regards from the scum bag, pox ridden stinking backside of Europe UK...........a country going down.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds