TOPIC:

Motorcycling provides Physical and Mental Benefits 5 years 2 months ago #23023

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

Kawboy wrote: Adrenaline rush on a Harley? Is that even possible to measure??

Not sure John. With today's technology they may be able to reach back and find some adrenaline left over from the last time the Harley rider got passed by a KAW.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Motorcycling provides Physical and Mental Benefits 5 years 2 months ago #23024

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I've seen news about electric Harley. It has a turbine like noise generator installed. So, I was thinking maybe they are doing their early campaign to appeal to millennials and the young generation. I don't remember when but it will be on the market. Or a version of it. A motorcycle to me is an engine, but a fast good handling quiet bike might have its appeal. I remember cruising in the mountains in Japan and turning off the engine, and taking the helmet off, and just gliding in silence. It was fantastic. And by the way, I have no doubt riding motorcycle has many benefits for the brain and soul. It stimulates both. Some attitudes as well, but that, oh well, it's a subject in itself. Don't want to spoil the positive angle of this study.

Last edit: by StanG.

Motorcycling provides Physical and Mental Benefits 5 years 2 months ago #23025

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Harley's problem, at least among my peer group, is twofold.

1: Price
2: Perception

For what you're getting, Harleys are, in general, just too expensive. For years now, they've sold "freedom" and "heritage". Those work fine for the older crowd that has been their main market for the past 40-odd years, but it doesn't resonate with people my age. Most of my friends are on modern supersports, sumos, and a few are into vintage bikes like me. The hipster chopper wave is cresting, but they're all built off actual old MoCo products.

I actually rode a 2018 Fat Bob and Forty-Eight special. I walked away underwhelmed. The transmissions shifted very nicely, as good as any Japanese bike I've been on, and the brakes were outstanding, but handling and power were both lackluster.

I have noticed they aren't really promoting their smaller 500-750 "Street" models. Those are in the 6-8k range, which is actually pretty reasonable for a new bike. Beyond that, they're just too expensive.

Second, the attitude. I don't buy into the Hell's Accountant shit. The bar-hopping, t-shirt and no helmet wearing, slow cruising mentality just doesn't do it for me. I don't think I have any friends my age who that appeals to either. I'm more interested in packing miles on the odometer than seeing what new pre-distressed tshirts the Bar and Shield is rolling out this quarter. I don't own and ride motorcycles to belong to a community or brotherhood. I do it because I enjoy it. I enjoy the experience, I enjoy the tinkering, and I do it for the ride, not to try and build an identity for myself. I feel like that's what HD has been doing for years, trying to get customers to build their identity around a Harley. And it's just not working anymore.

That said, I'm actually kinda excited to see their ADV bike in the flesh. I'd have one, just because it's weird and different. I'm hopeful that electric bikes take off, and the Livewire sells well for them. I was thoroughly impressed with the Zero I rode, and would gladly have one as a no-maintenance commuter if I could justify the price.

Last edit: by propav8r.

Motorcycling provides Physical and Mental Benefits 5 years 2 months ago #23032

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

propav8r wrote:

It's always a rush when you successfully make it to your destination on a Harley.

I usually got that rush when I actually managed to start it,... and then when it conked out again just when I was at the front of the queue at the traffic lights!

Looked nice though, but i got fed up of polishing it after each ride, so bought the KZ1000P as a 'winter hack'... and never looked back!

Paul

Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Motorcycling provides Physical and Mental Benefits 5 years 2 months ago #23033

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33

McBoney wrote:

propav8r wrote:

It's always a rush when you successfully make it to your destination on a Harley.

I usually got that rush when I actually managed to start it,... and then when it conked out again just when I was at the front of the queue at the traffic lights!

Looked nice though, but i got fed up of polishing it after each ride, so bought the KZ1000P as a 'winter hack'... and never looked back!

Paul

Nice. I was of course joking about reliability. The modern stuff is pretty good, above BMW in many reliability studies. The older stuff? That's a different story.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds