Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22728

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
For what its worth.................I was born with the legs of a Jack Russell rather than a Greyhound and have owned over 10 x Z and KZ1300's since the early 80's.

I can honestly say I have never found the seat height and issue at all, its just managing the overall weight of the bike you need to concentrate on.........no matter what height or build you are !

The seat height maybe around 32 inches with nobody sitting on the bike, but by the time you allow for a bit of "sag" the suspension will have, then the seat foam crushing down when you sit on it, then your own body weight ..............you are probably nearer 30 inches once on the bike.

Not a problem !

Pete F
UK.
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22731

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
How tall are you for curiosity ?

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22732

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
I realize this is a work in progress but: Does anyone else see a potentially serious structural flaw with this frame mod?
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22740

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

scotch wrote: I realize this is a work in progress but: Does anyone else see a potentially serious structural flaw with this frame mod?

I have two concerns.

1) those new bars will have clearance issues with battery and what not. You will have to address that (and side cover mounts).

2) the weight of the rear of the bike is mostly supported by the shocks. The bars you are removing tie into the “gusseted” frame area. The bars you are adding in tie in below that area. The area between the new bars and the gusseted area will flex (and break). At the very least, the “gusset” that the shocks mount to should be extended below your new bars.

Yes, that bracket is not really a gusset, but not sure exactly what we should call it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, Kawboy

Last edit: by Frank833.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22744

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
that bracket is not really a gusset, but not sure exactly what we should call it.

It actually is a gusset - It just doubles as a shock mount.

Better to discover this now then after the bike is completed and you soon realize that you no longer require a center-stand or side-stand to keep the bike up.!
That first bump in the road would be really interesting terrifying !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22764

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks gents, exactly the reason why it is a mock up and posted here before I cut the frame!

The battery will be a slimline lithium one (like this: www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk) and dropped below where the centre stand bottom legs go. The side covers will be either not there at all or custom made ones to fit the gap.

I did look at the gusset. I was planning to weld a triangular 'gusset tab' at the top of the new bars to the existing uprights as well as using a new gusset tab (half moon shape) to go from below the new connection to just over it - and that one will have the shock mount. That should give it enough strength. Ride height should remain the same.

However, I do realise I have missed something.... the ride height in an empty frame is quite different from that with the engine in etc... so I will no do anything until I have the engine in. It may be that with the engine in and the thinner seat, the ride height is OK for me, in which case not cutting required.

AND in any case I still have to get my structural welder to look at this plan, so it will be a while before I execute this plan, but please do keep your concerns coming so I don't miss anything.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds