Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bike security - GPS tracker, motion security alarm, locks, etc. 5 years 7 months ago #21112

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I think it's best to have it all in one place, so I'd like to ask again about these motorcycle security gadgets.

I will have a brake disc lock, and a clutch lever lock. These are relatively cheap. What's left would be very nice to have a GPS tracker. I am researching this and still can't find a cheap straight forward solution.
Another one, a motion and parameter activated sensor based alarm. I found these two, quite expensive but with good reviews. There is still the problem with living in a building with all the concrete floors. One gadget is Scorpio SRX-900, the other Gorilla 9100.

I'm looking forward to hear all the knowledge regarding bike security and the choices and solutions you guys implement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike security - GPS tracker, motion security alarm, locks, etc. 5 years 7 months ago #21114

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
I've always been unsure of the value of conventional audio or SMS (messaging) type alarms, as it's just too easy for 2 or 3 guys with a van to put a bike in the back and go within 60 seconds.

The more recent tracker systems do address that, especially if linked to a real-time service or police, but then of course the service costs go up very quickly!

Physical security as you've said is always effective, especially if you can anchor to a handy lamp-post.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Bike security - GPS tracker, motion security alarm, locks, etc. 5 years 7 months ago #21117

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

RChaloner wrote: I've always been unsure of the value of conventional audio or SMS (messaging) type alarms, as it's just too easy for 2 or 3 guys with a van to put a bike in the back and go within 60 seconds.

The more recent tracker systems do address that, especially if linked to a real-time service or police, but then of course the service costs go up very quickly!

Physical security as you've said is always effective, especially if you can anchor to a handy lamp-post.

Pretty sure Stan was going to anchor it to a Bull Mastiff.

Attachments:

Bike security - GPS tracker, motion security alarm, locks, etc. 5 years 7 months ago #21120

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I bought a Scorpio alarm back in 2002 for a bike I had stolen and recovered. years later I found out they sold me the wrong unit.
As I had bought and paid for an alarm with a battery backup and when it came time to replace the battery I found out they had shipped the wrong one by mistake and I didn't know it. When I found out and brought it to their attention they said yes I had paid for the backup battery unit and had in fact been shipped the non battery backup model however due to the time it took to bring it to their attention they weren't willing to do anything for me.
bottom line make sure you get what you pay for from Scorpio if not contact them immediately.

Scorpio does make a great product other then the backup battery issue (with mine) its a great alarm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Bike security - GPS tracker, motion security alarm, locks, etc. 5 years 7 months ago #21122

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Oh yes good point Kawboy, a fine looking anchor and presumably a handy tractor unit if you happen to find yourself with a flat battery?!! :)
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Bike security - GPS tracker, motion security alarm, locks, etc. 5 years 7 months ago #21123

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Scorpio is expensive but considering the time and money put in the bike, I think it's worth it. I am still looking at the Gorilla as alternative.
Another gadget I pointed out is GPS tracker. I know there are services, monthly fees etc., and that just expensive. I am searching for something that will simply connect to a satellite when available and either alert me right away, or at least would let me track the bike.

Any thoughts on cameras? A motion activated would be best. It's just so much easier if you live in a house..... It's unfair! hahaha

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds