Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Münch (yeah, what was that) ? 6 years 2 months ago #18648

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Amazing machines, beautifully made, no doubt. But you cannot help but wonder what the handling was like out on the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Münch (yeah, what was that) ? 6 years 2 months ago #18659

• BigSix
  • BigSix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
They are beast, still today. But you need to go back to 1970 (?) and imagine a 1000cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine in a motorcycle. At that time that's been unimaginable, awesome and shocking.
You can not buy any of them (the rate around EUR 50000 to 100000) as the owners are selling them exclusively to the people only they know. They stay in the family.

Cheers
Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Münch (yeah, what was that) ? 6 years 2 months ago #18665

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Yes, that's the price!... Not for an average bike rider. It has to be a very tight knit family by default - I think these bikes are much rarer than KZ1300!

Münch (yeah, what was that) ? 6 years 2 months ago #18668

• BigSix
  • BigSix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224

StanG wrote: Yes, that's the price!... Not for an average bike rider. It has to be a very tight knit family by default - I think these bikes are much rarer than KZ1300!

True. Guess not more than 500 have been built by him, I think all by hand, and none exactly the same as the one before. Still dreaming of a farmer coming to me to get rid of the junk in his barn turning out to be one of them ...

Did you guys check on the Munch 2000: 2 litre-engine, 4 valve Cosworth cylinder head, turbo charger:

Simply amazing:

Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
Attachments:

Münch (yeah, what was that) ? 6 years 2 months ago #18669

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Holger,
I recall the original Mammut - (saw one at a bike show in the UK years ago) but had not heard of the later Cosworth version: looks a monster.
I pulled some text from an article in the UK bike press re Munch and the only one known example in the UK.

Motorcycle News - Published: 10 February 2012 "Is this the UK's only Munch Mammoth"

When it comes to classics they don't get much rarer - or wilder - than the Munch Mammut (or Mammoth in English).
Unveiled at the 1966 Cologne show, the Mammoth was the creation of German engineer Friedl Munch, whose dream was to build the most fantastic motorcycle in the world. With financial backing fromAmerican workshop-manuals millionaire Floyd Clymer, he arguably achieved just that.
Using an 1177cc four-cylinder NSU car engine, the Mammoth produced 88bhp (amazing power for the time) and was good for over 130mph - a full two years before Honda's first CB750/4 superbike. For Top Trumps in the '70s, the Mammoth was the card to have.

Over the next decade some 450 examples of the handmade superbike would roll out the Ossenheim factory gates but of these only around 200 now exist; a collector in Germany has 30, a Frenchman 18 and 20 more are in a museum in America.

But after a 10 year search West Country enthusiast John Ransome now owns what is believed to be the only example of a Mammoth in the UK, not to mention 28 other machines.

“My Munch, made in 1970, was number 147 to leave the factory,” Ransome told MCN. “I got her from a US dealer and remember it arriving in a crate held together by 597 nails!”

Trulty rare as Rocking Horse droppings !
Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, StanG

Münch (yeah, what was that) ? 6 years 2 months ago #18671

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Wow. Awesome machines, old and new!

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds