• Page:

TOPIC:

Tri Magnum- 3 wheeler 6 years 3 months ago #18469

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Altho August 5th is still a long way off, the location of this vehicle auction is a long way to go and will take some planning, even for me- who - relatively speaking is quite close.
This Kawasaki KZ 1300 Tri Magnum, some of you may remember from the early 1980's, was a fibre glass body 3 wheeler /reverse trike , using what ever motorcycle you happened to have - in this case the kz 1300 . Personally I have never seen one of these and it would be interesting to do so. But what is more astounding is where it is located and what an electic bunch of vehicles it is going up for auction with.

This link opens on the main page of the auctioneers with photo's so you will have to scroll down a few photo's to get to the Kawasaki. My friend and I will be looking at the Honda S600 as well- but probably out of my pay scale.

mackauctioncompany.com/18aug4.html
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tri Magnum- 3 wheeler 6 years 3 months ago #18477

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
That is an astounding collection. Some of those must not have moved for a lifetime. Some folk are just compulsive collectors. When do they ever have enough?
My choices if money was no object are the Buick Straight Eight, and the Field Marshall tractor. Those Field Marshalls are amazing - huge slow revving single cylinder diesel with heavy flywheel, and a beautiful muffler shape. :

Tri Magnum- 3 wheeler 5 years 6 months ago #21522

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Made it to the auction in august , but the "bike " price was a bit too rich for me.
I was essentially after some good usable parts like a seat, tank, carbs etc and the pre auction pictures , with bike under a fibreglass shell , the parts would be in reasonable condition.
However- it sold for $4000 -
The body is homemade -this was not a kit car. You bought the plans , and built the whole thing yourself, adding the whatever donor bike you happened to have.

Here is a link to a youtube video -the magnum is at about 16 minutes. There also commercial advertising.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by tackelhappy.

Tri Magnum- 3 wheeler 5 years 6 months ago #21525

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Cool video. Thanks for sharing. The drive through Saskatchewan seeing the Nodding Donkeys reminds me of my trip last year to Lloydminster to see our son and daughter-in-law. If I watched a field of those pumps for 5 minutes, I'd be asleep !!
Intresting old metal at the auction. I guess it's still around because you don't use salt out there. $4K for the TriMagnum ?? Ouch !!Front end looks like a Bricklin which brings up more memories.Saw one of those last year.
Attachments:

Tri Magnum- 3 wheeler 5 years 6 months ago #21534

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for that Kawboy . I knew I'd seen that face before. A fairly common front end at the time - bit TR7 also.
Ok- -the interesting bits.
This wouldn't be a bike I would have chosen for a project like this. Once the project was finished , it came on the scales at nearly 1300 lb.
This first photo shows the difficulty in keeping the engine cool. Having difficulty keeping temperatures under control as a motorcycle, having a plywood bulkhead in front of the rad was going to make a difficult situation worse.

The front forks are removed and a support is made up to support the front of the bike on the plywood bulkhead- this is the back of the passenger compartment.

This is the cooling duct work coming from under the front bumper , below the floor into the engine compartment.

To get more 12 volt power, a automotive alternator was added to the back wheel. A bracket was made up coming of the lower shock mount. The alternator pully has a rubber outside edge and it ran on the top edge of the brake disc.

The cockpit area- used the bike gauges and to emulated the sequential gearbox that was all the rage at the time in touring car racing/ aussie v8 supercars etc, the lefthand handlebar was cut in half , the clutch lever was left in place and installed on the rightside of the steering wheel. In other words- a hand clutch. Brake and throttle on the floor.

There was a lot of work in all of this and the owners/ builders way of solving the engineering obstacles.
The bike stayed in Canada . Hope the new owner joins the club and we can follow along on the rebuild.

Last edit: by tackelhappy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds