Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 5 years 7 months ago #20845

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

biltonjim wrote: Thanks very much for your reply, Kawboy. I think a few of us on this forum, including me, bought the book, after you first brought it to our attention. In my case, the book has gone onto my book rack, with dozens of others, awaiting me finding the time to get stuck into it. Having skimmed through it, I know I'll find it interesting. I have long appreciated the link between diet and health, though I recall that not so many years ago, orthodox medical practitioners placed little emphasis on what we eat and its effect on physical well being.
i hope you achieve your aims, Kawboy, and wish you good health.
By the way, if you don't mind, I have a question relating to nuclear electricity generation, specifically regarding the steam production. Are the steam conditions so called Super Critical, as they are in many conventionally fired boilers in power plants? The incredible pressures and temperatures that super critcal boilers operate at fascinates me !

Don't know how fast you read Jim. It took me about 3 hours to get through it the first time. I keep going back in to it for more specifics but the first time through it is the best. How this guy stumbled on to the Lectin element and his take on how we harvest plants and animals for consumption over the last 100 years is mind blowing.

Regarding the steam on the conventional side of the boiler- Stan's right, it's superheated steam 4.7 megapascals @ 260 celsius (or 700 psi and 500 deg F. ) Our steam generators produce just over 1000 KG/second times 16 generators per running unit. One reactor on shutdown needed to reject the equivilant of 50,000 hordepower of heat ( or the equivilant of 3 747's sitting idling on the tarmac) The turbine hall on a midnight shift in August was around 60 deg cel. and that's what we worked in flogging 2-1/2" nuts off of the turbine halfjoints with flogging wrenches and sledge hammers. What a life. Retired 10 years and still miss it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, DannyKZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 5 years 7 months ago #20846

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Thanks for that, Kawboy. Ah, yes, those flogging wrenches - in Britain there is a tool making company by the name of Abingdon King Dick ( they made motorcycles many many years ago) which makes those huge wrenches. I think their largest is 4 5/8", and 115 mm metric..
60 degrees centigrade? how can you work in that? it has been around 30 c in Britain lately, and that floors me!
Retired ten years - is it compulsory to take early retirement in your nuclear industry?

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 5 years 7 months ago #20848

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Reirement used to be mandatory at 65 up until about 2005. Now you can work until you can't if you wish. I put in my 30 years and out the door at 52. Some regrets but I'm so busy, I can't stand it. I should go back to work for a holiday ! I can get up and have my day planned by 7:00 am. At 7:05 the plan goes in the toilet and we start all over again. Been trying to grind some camshafts for what, I don't know 8 months? If I was still at work I would have had them done months ago.
Anyone worried about retiring, don't . You'll be so freaking busy you won't be able to stand it. Trust me. I live in a retirement community and we are all crazy busy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds