Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 6 years 3 months ago #18536

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Ledkz1300 wrote: Yes indeed. You have to feed those bacteria the proper diet or they will die off and start taking the rest of your health with them.

Biltonjim: It is much the same with doctors in Canada. The over prescribing of antibiotics does a lot of damage to the body because antibiotics don't discriminate. They kill off both the bad and the good. There are a few doctors here which are catching on and recommending the intake of probiotics opposite your antibiotic schedule to mitigate the damage. There are a few types of yeast based probiotics like Florastor that are particularly useful against antibiotic induced diarrhea.

The highest dose probiotic capsule I've found is Critical Care Ultimate Flora which has 100 billion of 12 different strains.

Natural source Kefiir, like The Cultured Coconut brand, on the other hand contains 300 billion of 50+ strains in a two tablespoon serving according to their laboratory reports. Cost wise this is a far better way to go since you get so much more for much less money. One bottle lasts me a month and its $16.99 locally. A month supply of the capsules is almost $50 with tax here.

Very interesting. I've been on a product produced by Dr. Kara MD called Revive Reds. It contains both the pro and prebiotics. A jar of this is $34.99 for 30 scoops (one month supply) The probiotic segment is 3 billion CFU's which is 100 times less than the product you speak of yet your product does not mention any prebiotics. Hmmmmm...... Need to do some more investigating here. (Google homework) and I thought school was over.
trykarahealth.com/drkara-revive-reds-pol...YgRoii4aAvPQEALw_wcB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 6 years 3 months ago #18538

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
The kefir product I use is very simple. It is coconut milk (water from the inside of the coconut) and the kefir colony. Presumably, the coconut milk must be prebiotic to some extent as the colony is fermenting in it.

As far as I know, my product brand is only currently available locally but I would be willing to bet there is something similar to it in your local health food store, or at least another product with a higher count and more diverse bacteria for a better price. Real fermented saurkraut is also especially high in probiotics, as is Kimchi and Kosher dills. I think the more diverse the colony, the better it is so I try to eat a variety of fermented foods and drink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 6 years 3 months ago #18541

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

Real fermented saurkraut is also especially high in probiotics, as is Kimchi and Kosher dills. I think the more diverse the colony, the better it is so I try to eat a variety of fermented foods and drink.

I totally agree with that. I was just going to make the same point. Back in Europe, the 'juice' from sour cabbage or pickles was a well know remedy for hangover. We used to pickle cucumbers at home, but you could go to pretty much any grocery store and there would be a barrel with cabbage or pickles. People would bring a jar and they lady would fill it up with the juice. It was an old wisdom remedy, and also scientifically it makes perfect sense - the alcohol washes out the good bacteria and you replace it with pro-biotic fermented water. We also had kefir, which is not widely available here. Another one - sour milk. It was very popular to let the milk sit until it becomes sour, and drink a glass with dinner or just whenever you want. It's natural and like kefir. Not possible here with pasteurized milk. We would also make cheese from it as well. We also had a variety of cold salads, like sliced cucumber salad, based on sour cream. Also, herring in sour cream. I think these good bacteria bringing diets are absent in North America.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 6 years 3 months ago #18542

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Another point to add to loosing weight, which I mentioned before, is that muscle burns calories. The more muscle you have, the easier is to loose weight. Also, sleep actually helps loosing weight. Good sleep is a miracle remedy for anything from stronger immune system to weight loss.

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 6 years 2 months ago #18639

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Very good points, Stan.

Kawboy, have you any update to share after adopting the dietary changes described in The Plant Paradox? I have now received my copy, but have not had time to read it yet.

Health Topic- Need to lose weight???? 6 years 2 months ago #18652

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

biltonjim wrote: Very good points, Stan.

Kawboy, have you any update to share after adopting the dietary changes described in The Plant Paradox? I have now received my copy, but have not had time to read it yet.

So I'm down 11 pounds since Boxing Day (29 days ago). So far it’s been a very interesting journey. I've come to the conclusion that I was a protein junky and a high fiber junky because I know no better. Since adopting this diet I've been less concerned about "eating a good breakfast" because according to this "cardiologist/dietitian, breakfast was only suppose to be a "break fast" meaning a little snack to get you through to lunch.
One theory (and I'll call it a theory" because there's soooooo much confusion around what's a right diet and what's not, is a simple statement by this Dr. Gundry that your body will tell you what's good for you and especially what's bad for you. When you eat something that's not good for you, your body responds by causing inflammation. The reason for this is to tell your brain to stop eating that thing that caused the inflammation. The problem is that we humans have been taught what's good for you and what's bad for you. So that being said, I've found that everytime I eat bread products, my hands swell up and I get joint pain. Stop eating the bread, the swelling goes down and the pain goes away. Bottom line- pay attention to the feedback signals your body is telling your brain. The rest of the animal world understands this but we humans are way smarter right? DAH !!

I'm 62 years young and I've always had trouble with my bowels. I was absolutely terrified of forgetting to eat bran everyday and definitely not to eat white bread. So if you follow this diet, you'll stop eating bran for sure since it's "all lectins" and whole wheat or high fiber breads are also out for the same reason. I took a leap of faith and converted over to this diet and now my bowels are as regular as a rabbit.

Another interesting fact- People who put weight on around their bellies are more proned to heart related issues (which is what got me here in the first place) 29 days into this diet and I've lost about 3" off of my belly.

Another notable is that usually when you go on a diet, the first thing that comes to mind is "what will I have to give up?" I can honestly say this diet has not caused me to wish for anything. There are a number of things that I gave up, but nothing that I really cared about. It's definitely a change in diet, but nothing extreme, so that makes it easier to follow. One of the biggest problems with diets is giving up the things you crave and then you finally get mad and say screw this, I'm going back to my old ways and then the "diet" doesn't work.
It’s also winter here in southern Ontario. -14 deg. Cel. A hell of a time of year to start a diet especially if you’re an outdoors person which I am. I’m not fond of working out in the gym. It’s a waste of energy. I’d rather go out for a walk or outside to work on the house or cut the grass, you get the drift. I’ve managed to lose this weight without any forced exercise. Looking forward to getting outside but in the meantime, I’m happy to have lost 11 pounds in a month and let’s not forget at 62 years of age, I’m not the muscle bound guy I was at 30 years of age so not as much muscle to feed.
I’ll leave it at that for now. Not planning on changing anything at this point. Still learning as I go and enjoying the journey so I carry on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds