• Page:

TOPIC:

Went to the drag strip! and other upgrades 6 years 4 months ago #18042

• Raygun
  • Raygun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
A month ago or so I went to the drag strip for the first time with the 1300. My dad and grandad are both serious drag racers with nostalgia front engine dragsters that run in the low 9s in the quarter mile. So I wanted to see how I'd do. I didn't really prepare in anyway (no changes to tire pressure, no burnouts, etc) and just wanted to get some runs in. I was launching at 6000 rpm, slipping the clutch and probably launching poorly so my 60 foot times were terrible! I ended up getting 6 runs in total and got pretty consistent for the last four running 14.66, 14.46, 14.47, and 14.33 in the quarter mile. Top speed was 94.78. So not terrible times for a total novice! I had a fantastic time but forgot to get pictures.

In other news, I modified my Vetter trunk with some LED trailer lights similar to this thread on another site: www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread...-Vetter-trunk-lights. I really like how they turned out and they are much brighter than the previous lights. I also added a KOSO mini gauge for air temp, time, and voltage. I was having issues with my turn signals not running when using the brake lights at intersections and was worried about the voltage dropping at idle. I know the charging systems for these bikes weren't meant to run a bunch of lights and the LEDs cleared up that issue. So I'm loving my KZ and am still using it to commute daily.

1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Raygun.

Went to the drag strip! and other upgrades 6 years 4 months ago #18045

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Nothing wrong with those numbers. She's pulling strong. And let's not forget the fairing and triple bag. That reaction time would come down after a day of running. Not everybody is "fast out of the chute" . Running lights takes a bit of a knack and doing it on a 650 Lb 2 wheeler takes a set of Brass ones. All in all, well done.

Went to the drag strip! and other upgrades 6 years 4 months ago #18053

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Kawboy wrote: Nothing wrong with those numbers. She's pulling strong. And let's not forget the fairing and triple bag. That reaction time would come down after a day of running. Not everybody is "fast out of the chute" . Running lights takes a bit of a knack and doing it on a 650 Lb 2 wheeler takes a set of Brass ones. All in all, well done.

Thanks! And I did think about removing the fairing and bags but that would me too much work and for what? It was just test & tune anyway. The reaction times aren’t great but the system there adds 0.500 to the reaction time. So the last ticket my reaction time was actually 0.045. Not great, but better than a 0.545! That was my best light of the outing.
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Went to the drag strip! and other upgrades 6 years 4 months ago #18057

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
I need to say that the light look like they are original (though I do not have a clue how that looks) - well done

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Went to the drag strip! and other upgrades 6 years 4 months ago #18059

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Those are impressive quarter mile times to me. And, as mentioned, you would doubtless get quicker with practice. It brings to mind Arto Nyquist whenever I read of folk drag racing a bike:

How did your bike stand up to the drag runs? I wonder if it would be a good thing to change the oil. I'm thinking there could be some contamination from the clutch - or maybe I'm talking ****.

I've always liked the Vetter gear made for the 1300, and your rear light fitment looks great. Well done!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raygun

Went to the drag strip! and other upgrades 6 years 4 months ago #18061

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

biltonjim wrote: How did your bike stand up to the drag runs? I wonder if it would be a good thing to change the oil. I'm thinking there could be some contamination from the clutch - or maybe I'm talking ****.

I think it stood up pretty well but have no idea really. I felt a little bad wringing it out so I probably won't do it again since the KZ is my daily driver. But it didn't complain once and hasn't seemed any different since. I shifted at redline and never went over so I figure it would be ok. And the oil? No idea ha.

BigSix wrote: I need to say that the light look like they are original (though I do not have a clue how that looks) - well done

This is how it looked the day I bought it.

1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3

Last edit: by Raygun.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds