• Page:

TOPIC:

New Z900 breaks cover - shame there's no Z13 6 years 5 months ago #17987

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Holger, I know its a Photoshop mock up - but how nice does that Z13 look.
I keep hoping that one day KHI might see the light, after all, BMW and Honda have current 6 cyl bikes that sell well: and about 7 years ago Suzuki developed the Stratosphere 1100cc 6cyl right up to road ready status - and then with the global financial crisis decided to mothball it ????????????.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tonto.

New Z900 breaks cover - shame there's no Z13 6 years 5 months ago #17995

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi Tim

I guess at first I would love to see it, enthusiasm immediately replaced by the realization that the new one does not match the old one (similar to the present Z900RS). I have been digging a lot in to the history of the might zed, one thing I noticed is that they built it with 6 cylinders because a) they could and b) to show off.
As mentioned before there is no reason to use 6 cylinders, you can get the same performance with 4 and you would save the costs for the set of two cylinders. I believe the Z1300 di not pay off for Kawasaki and I suppose they have learnt from is, look how they treat this heritage !
Development of new bikes will be handled by the bean-counters, if they can not sell a certain number of units in relation to development costs the project will be dead in a second.

Pity, because I like the Suzuki Stratosphere a lot (except of all these gimmicks), but the main idea was absolute right. A clean in-line 6, with a nice frame around it.

I do hope for the same dynamics as present in the 70s, if one takes the lead the others will have to follow, like Honda amazing the world with the CBX and Kawasaki modifying their project to become the Z13.

But those times are gone. Lets enjoy what we have end even more if you meet more than one in one place that is pure entertainment.

regards,

holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.093 seconds