• Page:

TOPIC:

Trailer Tires and remote Pressure Monitoring 6 years 6 months ago #17287

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I just thought I would share this tidbit with all of you.
I've been on the road for the last 3-1/2 weeks traveling with the wife with our F250 Ford and a 36ft fifth wheel. Traveled from Bobcaygeon Ontario to Yellowstone Wyoming USA, then over to Mount Rushmore, then down to Cheyenne Wyoming to visit our son and daughter-in-law. Now on our way back to Bobcaygeon via Louisville Kentucky. Had a rotten day yesterday. had one tire on the trailer break a steel belt and a very nice American warned me of a tire issue. So I pulled over and changed out the bad tire for the spare. Then 3 hours later, another couple told me I had had a blowout on another tire on the trailer same side so I was forced to put the bad tire on the trailer and limp to a tire dealer. Just a bad day.
So the purpose of this post- I had been told about a tire presssure monitoring system (TPMS) that I could get and be warned of a soft tire on the trailer. It was my intention to buy this and install but I just didn't get around to it. The consequences for me is I now have a fender on the trailer to try and replace and had to replace 2 tires all because I didn't manage to get the TPMS in time. For me the fender will set me back $200 and the 2 tires probably $450.
There are lots of different models of TPMS out there and average around $150 US. Most of them have a sensor that screws on in place of the tire valve cap and the monitor plugs in to the cigarette lighter (12V socket now I guess)
Just thought it might be worthwhile info for some of you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Trailer Tires and remote Pressure Monitoring 6 years 6 months ago #17288

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I am in the middle of doing a complete refit of my 1984 caravan (trailer) new chassis and all the interior to a large extent and have been thinking of buying a TPMS. I was thinking exactly that, one tyre is the same price as a good TPMS. I have been running one on my K1100BMW for quite a few years now and it has saved me once. I was just coming up to one my favourite bits of twisty road when the alarm went off when the tyre picked up a pop rivet, so it may have saved my bacon.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds