Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Did You Buy a 1300 Brand New? 6 years 8 months ago #17079

• biltonjim
  • biltonjim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
For those who bought the bike brand new ( Scotch for one, I believe), I am interested to hear which aspects of the Kawasaki 1300 persuaded you to choose it above the other big bikes of the era. And for those who bought a used bike, what was the appeal?
Did you have a test ride? What were your thoughts regarding weight, handling, engine performance, quietness etc.

I ask these questions because, though I have owned a KZ1300 for several years, it is a restoration project which is not progressing due to lack of a garage, and I often get to wondering what it will be like when - if - I ever do get to ride it I need to hear positive thoughts from owners to keep my dream alive!
My previous big bike experience was a bought from new 1978 Yamaha XS Eleven. It had an incredible engine, superb switch gear, levers, instruments, lighting, in fact I can't fault it at all - except perhaps for the atrocious paint finish on the frame. I wish I still had it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Did You Buy a 1300 Brand New? 6 years 8 months ago #17080

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831

For those who bought the bike brand new ( Scotch for one, I believe),

Correct.! I stopped in at the Kawi-dealer in March of '79 to buy a pair of gloves and was taken to the shop area to see "the New Arrival". I was not aware of "the 1300" until I saw this one, still sitting on the shipping crate bottom. They had literally just received it and had just uncrated it. LOVE at first sight which wasn't too good for the '78 Honda 750 I was riding. Signed the paper work later that day. It's appeal to me was simply it's presence which was commanding! Despite having to sue the dealer 6 months later because this '79 simply wouldn't run correctly I wasn't deterred and rather then accepting a full refund, I chose to accept a new '80, I own to this day. Despite the issues we all know of I persevered and I am every bit in love with this machine as I was the first time I saw one. It's simply "eye-candy" for me and I simply love riding it.. It's far from the best in many respects. I don't think it's necessary to elaborate. Anyone who has put some time in the saddle, knows what I refer to. To this day there has been nothing that really strikes me as the 1300 did then and does to this day.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, StanG

Last edit: by scotch.

Did You Buy a 1300 Brand New? 6 years 8 months ago #17081

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I just want to mention that I am pretty much on the same boat. Except I am rebuilding it without a garage. Step by step. Once taken apart, put all in marked plastic bags, larger items like tank stored in the corner, it is alright to pull one item at a time and work on it on a small table in front of TV. Once the frame is completely stripped, I will strip it, sand it, and paint it right on my 6th floor balcony. The engine will be put together in the corner of my living room. Then small things will go into the frame and eventually I will have someone help me carry it to the elevator and it will go downstair when all is ready. Early morning, I will have all day to put the front and back, to sit it on wheels. And that's when I will fire it up.

I have never ridden a KZ1300 and heard it run only on Youtube. To me the appeal is the idea of 6 cylinders, the sound, not bad on the power, and I know it is on e of the original classic muscle bikes. Thinking of having a big inline bike, I thought this would be it. I am used to high power bikes, mostly Vmax, I wouldn't be happy with something small. And it just looks great. Commands respect. In a way the engine reminds me of big marine engines, where is my background. The big vertical wall of a machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Last edit: by StanG.

Did You Buy a 1300 Brand New? 6 years 8 months ago #17087

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Wooow Scotch!!! What a photo... Since 1980... The form of the bike is not lost in these changes, the essence is right there. I will still keep it a two seater, just in case, but the other parts I convinced myself I will not be a purist to make the bike 100% stock restored. That's for the rich people. For me in this case is about function and at the same time, of course, it has to look good. Some parts have idiotic prices in my opinion. But then, it must be so rare. I am glad you posted this photo. Cheers!

Did You Buy a 1300 Brand New? 6 years 8 months ago #17088

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
The A5 I have now was bought brand new by my older brother in 1983. He told me the story of the sales guy starting the bike up in the showroom and putting a glass of beer on the tank whilst the bike was running - so smooth there was not a ripple in the glass.

He traded a well used Z900 in for it and since then he has often marvelled at the lack of vibration in the 13 compared to the inherent vibes of 4 cylinder bikes.

Did You Buy a 1300 Brand New? 6 years 8 months ago #17089

• kwakka
  • Thank you received: 4
I didn't buy mine brand new and I've ridden it only on short runs but I still remember the first ride when I cracked the throttle and nearly wernt off the back of the seat. Actually except for the fact it had a king/queen seat I probably would have gone off the back. I also have a 1978 CBX 1000 which I have to say disappoints in the grunt department compared to the Z1300. I am curently giving the Z a clean up and am also impressed with the eye for detail vs Honda - I can't help thinking that even with their technological marvel Honda were still building to a price. Yes the Z is big and square and heavy but it is to me the ultimate early '80's naked tourer.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds