• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
RICKG,

Thats still a lot of miles.
You are obviously a gambling man if you still have the original camchain tensioner fitted !!

Have you replaced any major engine parts over the 237,000 ?

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THE HIGHEST MILEAGE 1300 EVER ?? 10 years 3 months ago #1334

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I find this a very interesting subject. The Kawasaki 1300 engine has the potential to cover huge mileage before significant wear becomes apparent. It has many things in its favour, such as liquid cooling, large capacity, low levels of mechanical stress, and good engineering - cam chain tensioner excepted. I reckon the biggest threat to this or any motorcycle engine's longevity is lack of care by the owner. When a bike is brand new, the rider probably looks after it quite well initially. But as time goes by, servicing often gets neglected as the pride of ownership recedes. Leaving the oil too long between changes is bad for any engine, but especially for a bike where the oil has to serve the gearbox components too.
I wonder what the maintenance schedule was for that 429,000km 1300?

THE HIGHEST MILEAGE 1300 EVER ?? 10 years 3 months ago #1339

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95

strate6 wrote: RICKG,

Thats still a lot of miles.
You are obviously a gambling man if you still have the original camchain tensioner fitted !!

Have you replaced any major engine parts over the 237,000 ?

Pete F

Not a thing It has never been apart except for the very common alternator problems that have been solved by a guy who is long dead by altering the windings from standard.
It was always serviced at the recommended intervals or sooner if a long trip was comming up

I havent been able to get any good info on it (and probably never will) but it was the first one ever sold in Queensland and the second in Australia (it was ordered 6 months before release) there were quite a few that were raced before they sold any so it makes it difficult to find any info because Kawasaki didnt have an Australia wide dealer network and they were inported on a state by state basis till 1981
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

THE HIGHEST MILEAGE 1300 EVER ?? 10 years 1 month ago #2165

• KEZZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Taklehappy.I too contacted this so called patron saint some years back.Was in the throw of replacing the OEM calipers on the 13 with a pair of Tokico 4 spotters from a ZZR600.The bloke in question was not interested in sharing his knowledge at the time.Offered to buy (if he would make them),a set of adapters for the upgrade.So much for ''helping''fellow bikers.Since that time,I have never asked anyone to help me with parts for a conversion,would rather go it alone to sort out the parts needed.Thought about asking Helmut at MCG for a set,but he won't sell just the adapters.No biggie,he is in business to make a living,so that's OK.
Since getting knocked back by the ''patron saint'',decided to go in another direction with a much better setup.It's amazing what parts from other Kawasaki's and other Japanese bikes will practically bolt on to the 13,one only has to do the homework.Other than that,it's great to have a friend who is a tool maker who can make anything one might need.Later.OI OI OI KEZZ.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds