TOPIC:

A Cold Starting Tip ! 10 years 3 months ago #1148

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
For those of us who live in countries with cold winters.......& still choose to start & run our bikes through the cold weather, then here is a useful (and interesting tip) to try if your 1300 Carb Model is difficult to start.......which most have found does the trick well !

The 1300 Carb Model can be difficult to start in cold weather mainly due to its poorly designed carbs with very small internal fuel passages (among other things).

I have had many UK owners over many years ask me if there is a good way to get around this cold start issue............& there is.

As I am sure you are all aware, any 4 stroke engine needs 4 main things to make it run.

1). Fuel
2). Compression.
3). Spark.
4). Correct timing.

Assuming you are happy you have all these BEFORE you try starting the bike, then try using a hair drier (or heat gun) to warm up your carb bodies.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO POSITION THE DRIER OR GUN TOO CLOSE TO THE CARB BODIES.....for obvious reasons, as the idea is to just warm them slowly for 5 to 10 minutes to hand temperature.

You maybe surprised how effective this procedure is, but make sure you put the drier back where you got it from (nice & clean) as if not the wife will play hell !

This is much easier & less fuss than removing plugs & warming them on a hob & refitting to get things started.

Regards

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Cold Starting Tip ! 10 years 3 months ago #1149

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi Pete

interesting- first time I hear someone's doing it this way. (Need to see if my wife's dryer is suitable).

Another tip has bene to increase the idle by turning the screw a few mm and once the bike has started putting it back in the old position.

What the 13 even more needs than you already desribed correctly is a very fit battery. AS I have problems for decades (yes!) to start it I finally have bought a HAWKER ODISSEY battery and need to say: that is a difference.

Can anyone in here confirm my very positive experience with the Hawkerbattery ?

regardZ

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

A Cold Starting Tip ! 10 years 3 months ago #1150

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Holger,

You are certainly right about the battery & tick over suggestion.

Many Uk Owners have fitted these GEL type batteries & confirmed they are much better & have far superior "cranking" power for starting.

The only down side is the cost.............very expensive.

Pete F

A Cold Starting Tip ! 10 years 3 months ago #1151

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Pete

Your're right, however I had to buy a battery per year and still ended up with problem after the bike hasnot been moved for 3 weeks so I'd rather pay 4-5 times more and (hopefully) have the trouble sorted out.

Anyone else knows THE big secret to get the bike(carburator model) started ?

regardZ,

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

A Cold Starting Tip ! 10 years 3 months ago #1241

• BillD
  • Thank you received: 1
I would just move to a warmer climate, I cant imagine living in a climate where I couldnt ride 12 months a year,
Although I did do it for 53 years lol

A Cold Starting Tip ! 10 years 3 months ago #1242

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bill,

I am working very hard on doing just that.!!

Although the UK has some terrific biking terrain for 6 months of the year, it has fast become the dirt bag of Europe with illegal immigrants pouring in everyday & stealing tax payers money (they have not contributed to) & creating very poor, unsafe & dangerous standards It is also ran by a complete set of useless Politician idiots who are only doing it to feather their own nests for the future. They have basically Bankrupt this country so many times its unreal.

Ever noticed why they dont call it "GREAT" Britain anymore............its for good reason.

I ache to get out of this place...........one day, one day.

Pete F

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds