TOPIC:

Not a SIX but at least it's a Kawasaki. 7 years 6 months ago #14614

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Bill,

That is as cool as penguin piss or a Polar Bears Balls mate !

Love it...............I had a Z750 twin many years ago and loved its "no rush" and laid back feel, very comfy too.

The simple fact you got to make a terrier bark and chase you in the street proves without doubt its a legend already !!

Keep it coming.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Not a SIX but at least it's a Kawasaki. 7 years 6 months ago #14746

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
I've been busy lately but not neglecting my trike. Last time I was working on the steering stability issue. I ended up deciding to fit a steering damper and see how it might work before I get into changing the steering geometry. I was determined to make the installation functional and not appear to be something quickly bolted on. I chose the longest damper available and this installation makes use of all the travel.

I welded up an exhaust pipe using 16 gauge 304 stainless. It just joins the two head pipes over to the right side. I ordered an exhaust baffle that will fit right into the end of the pipe.

What do you think?
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
Attachments:

Last edit: by KZQ.

Not a SIX but at least it's a Kawasaki. 7 years 6 months ago #14749

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Coming along nicely Bill.
Couple of thoughts. I see your rear axle is extended quite a bit rearward from the original rear axle location. I would imagine that with the rear shocks in the stock position that the suspension travel is quite a bit longer and I wonder if when you sit on it, the front end geometery is upset enough to induce wobbling?

Second, I see that the exhaust entention beyond the "Y" pipe is the same diameter as the front pipes and now you're going to stuff it with a Baffle which will reduce the outlet diameter and might cause unwanted back pressure which could burn your exhaust valves or burn a hole in the piston. I get what you're trying to do. Just throwing that out there to provoke thought.

Not a SIX but at least it's a Kawasaki. 7 years 6 months ago #14751

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Joining the headers in that way is quite common practise, that set up should give good all round running & decent midrange. Going up a size on the secondary is good for all out top-end performance which is not what that engine is all about, it's tuned more for mid range. Leaving the headers open is more likely to burn the exhaust valves as it will lean the mixture off usually. But I'm with Kawboy on the baffle, it would maybe present too much of a restriction, if it were me I'd fit a glass pack muffler on the end.
Looking good B)
Only dead fish go with the flow

Not a SIX but at least it's a Kawasaki. 7 years 6 months ago #14752

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Too much fun. SteamPunk " definitely. Nice work.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Not a SIX but at least it's a Kawasaki. 7 years 6 months ago #14753

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi KawBoy and Phil,
The axle has been moved 3 1/2" rearward from stock while the lower shock mount has been moved about 1 1/2" forward. This has made the shock stand more vertically which has lifted the read of the bike about an inch when unloaded. My seat of the pants assessment is that the rear squat height is unchanged. Still, I agree things might yet need adjustment.

This is the baffle I ordered. I like it because it wont add any length to the tailpipe.

My plan is to use some sort of baffle to prevent too much cold air moving up the pipe after shut down. I'm hoping that I can tune the system by trimming the baffle for length.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
Attachments:

Last edit: by KZQ.
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds