Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DG 6 into 1 exhaust 7 years 9 months ago #12946

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Hi all, got a bit bored the other day, and was looking at my DG muffler, thought i'd drill out the pop rivets holding the baffle in to have a look at the internals, anywho don't start the 13 with no baffle in ... it totally upsets the neighbours :-), but also the baffle has some fiberglass wrapping around it, only half of the baffle is covered, removed that and pop rivet the baffle back in and the bike sounds good, well it does to my old ears, if you don't like it then put the fiberglass back on, just thought i'd mention it, cheers Pete.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DG 6 into 1 exhaust 7 years 9 months ago #12948

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Thats my kind of talk, surely nobody can complain with the racket those bloody V twins make these days. The 13 sounds like a Formula 1 opera singer, Harley sounds like someone shitting their pants through Pete Townsends amplifier..just my opinion :)
:) Z13 UK

DG 6 into 1 exhaust 7 years 9 months ago #12954

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
How much louder would you say KZA? 25%, 50%

Did you lose any performance?

I like my DG but I would love to have it at least 25% louder. It only makes a lot of noise when I'm getting on it hard.

Charlie... I couldn't agree more. Never did like the sound of a V-twin so therefore I've never owned one.

DG 6 into 1 exhaust 7 years 9 months ago #12957

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97

Ledkz1300 wrote: How much louder would you say KZA? 25%, 50%

Did you lose any performance?

I like my DG but I would love to have it at least 25% louder. It only makes a lot of noise when I'm getting on it hard.

Bit louder i'd say otherwise I would of put the fiberglass back on, give it a go, simple mod really, as for performance .... who knows, I ride at 2 speeds ... flat out and stopped, not into the technical side, it runs and goes good, the baffle tube is straight thru anyway so all your doing is removing some of the "deadening" (wonder if that's a word) :-) ,cheers
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Last edit: by kza13.

DG 6 into 1 exhaust 7 years 9 months ago #12966

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
A lot of aftermarket mufflers from the old days (60's-70's) were packed with fiberglass. Problem was, you could not put the glass-wrapped baffle back in if it was wrapped with enough fiberglass to prevent it from slowly being blown to the back of the muffler. I swear, fiberglass shrinks a lot when heated! I eventually welded in small disc-dams along the baffle to create several pockets for the glass to pack into . It worked much better that way, but it also quieted the bike down a LOT, which is opposite what this thread is about! LOL!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DG 6 into 1 exhaust 7 years 9 months ago #12967

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

kza13 wrote: ...the baffle tube is straight thru anyway so all your doing is removing some of the "deadening" (wonder if that's a word) :-) ,cheers

That straight-through tube part is perforated to allow the sound pulses to expand, and the fiberglass is intended to capture them to "deaden" the volume. Without the fiberglass the sound pulses are free to re-enter the pipe to exit.
Yup, I would say that "deadening" is a perfect term to use to describe what happens to the sound.

Charlie, I LOVE your description of the sound of a Harley! I'm gonna have to remember that one for the next time I go into a Harley dealer again! They already hate seeing me ride up on my Voyager/sidecar rig and grabbing all the customers' attention!

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds