• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Ive had this 35 years

Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 10 months ago #12844

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

trikebldr wrote:

KZQ wrote: Very Nice Bruce!

Sorta like mine:

I took that sissy bar off of mine so I've got the pad yours is missing if you want it. In case you didn't know it that engine is the same as the one in the GPZ1100 except for milder cams. The only issue I have with the bike is that the single position seat pushes me too far forward into the "BuckHorn" handle bars.
I paid $2,475.00 for mine a decade ago so you really scored.
Congratulations
Bill

Bill, you wouldn't possibly have the original grab bar from behind the seat that you would like to sell, would you? Yours looks every bit as pristine as mine. Maybe even more so! Your pipes are cleaner! I also almost bought a 550 version of this bike too, in the same colors and condition. When the weather allows I will be lining up my two ZN's and this new "little" KZ for a family shot!

Hi Bruce,
Sorry Dude! Mine came with that grab bar which I put back on for a much more authentic look. You're right about the black chrome exhaust. The PO kept it in a garage. It came to me with less than 10K on the clock.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 10 months ago #12846

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Bill, those are replacement carbs, right? Or did you just strip them?
Years ago I put a set of black chromed Kerker 4-into-1 headers on my GL1000. It took about a year before they were junk in the looks area! Never could keep them polished.
I might have mine black ceramic coated.

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 10 months ago #12862

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

charlie9670 wrote: Bet you had one like that too, I used to rattle the shop windows at midnight in Southport on mine..youth grin factor 10 :evil:

No, but I do remember walking home from school in about '83/'84 & there was a fella that used to ride past on one in exactly the same colour, the exhaust stopped just after the 4 into 1 collector, no silencing whatsoever ...I thought it sounded the dog's danglies at the time lol. I bet his neighbours loved him as we could hear it coming about a minute before it appeared lol. Still reckon they look great B)
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 10 months ago #12864

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

trikebldr wrote: Bill, those are replacement carbs, right? Or did you just strip them?
Years ago I put a set of black chromed Kerker 4-into-1 headers on my GL1000. It took about a year before they were junk in the looks area! Never could keep them polished.
I might have mine black ceramic coated.

Hi Bruce,
When I got the bike the carbs came totally disassembled in a box. I had no idea if everything was there so I sent them off to a carb service to have them refurbished. The cleaning also removed the finish from the carb bodies.

I wasn't aware that the black chrome was so vulnerable. Is that really the case?

Regards
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 10 months ago #12866

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
I've only had one set of black chrome pipes and they sure seemed to be fragile compared to the next set of bright chromed ones on the same bike. Both were Kerker brand, very popular at the time, as I'm sure you know. All the bright chrome took was some Hapich's Semi-Chrome polish to make them look new.

What is the finish on the carbs? The PO of my bike said he simply soaked them in a sonic cleaner with some Seafoam first, then with some Dawn dishwashing solution to get them looking new. I see ads for carb services that show black, polished and even chromed bodies and wonder how much work it must take to get the black applied without getting on the precise fit surfaces and also how much work it takes to get into all the little nooks and crannies to polish them! Let's not even talk about masking for chrome! Sometimes they advertise the two outer carbs as black, but the two inners are natural since they are barely seen! Cheat, cheat, cheat! :lol:

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds