Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 9 months ago #12832

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Up to now I have only been a ZN rider, but found a really nice KZ on Craigslist. It's a nicely maintained 1982 KZ1100D Spectre. Pure stock except for a sissy bar on the back, better seat and a Vetter fairing.
The ZN's are just way too heavy for me to hold up safely at stop lights,(unless it has a sidecar!) so I was looking for something light enough to be a daily around-town rider. First thing I did was to see how easy I could rock it side to side. EASY-PEASY! They I fired it up and it cranked maybe three revs on choke before firing off and it ran nice even cold. Owner said it had not been started for a month.
It is missing the unique passenger grab bar after adding the heavy duty sissy bar.
Everything about the bike is almost like new except the exhaust. The black chrome was painted over and needs to be re-finished.
The owner cleaned the carbs and set the floats using u-tubes, but they have changed slightly enough to unbalance things. Been talking to Scotch about maybe making some brass floats, or I will do it myself.
I set it up on the center stand in first gear, not running, to check for driveline slack. Less than I expected for just the final drive, let alone the whole driveline.
Tires are in good shape, but the rear shows the typical flat strip down the middle of the tread. I'm not a rubber-burner, nor a pipe-dragger, so it should last me a while.
When I contacted the seller he already had a buyer scheduled to come look at it two days later but the guy didn't show up on time, so I got there about an hour later and we came to an agreement. About four hours later that guy called the owner and apologized for being late and wanted to come see it! TOO LATE! Already sold! Now I'm glad some people are careless about keeping appointments as planned!
Sorry all you UK, AUS and EU guys, but I got this for $1850 (US).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 9 months ago #12833

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Very Nice Bruce!

Sorta like mine:

I took that sissy bar off of mine so I've got the pad yours is missing if you want it. In case you didn't know it that engine is the same as the one in the GPZ1100 except for milder cams. The only issue I have with the bike is that the single position seat pushes me too far forward into the "BuckHorn" handle bars.
I paid $2,475.00 for mine a decade ago so you really scored.
Congratulations
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 9 months ago #12834

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Looks like a baby Voyager, big aircooled Z engine, great result for that money. I had an imported Voyager in the mid 80's and was a handfull on UK roads..but I liked it :cheer: I had a GL1200 for 4yrs before I got the Z and it felt like being on a 250 dream. Perspective, age ,and aches and pains can determine what you want to ride, hope I can ride the 13 until someone scrapes me off the floor.
Did you guys get the GPZ1100B1/B2 over there?

:) Z13 UK
Attachments:

Last edit: by charlie9670.

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 9 months ago #12836

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Traitors! Lol ;)
Loving that red GPZ with the Harris pipe! B)
Only dead fish go with the flow

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 9 months ago #12838

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Bet you had one like that too, I used to rattle the shop windows at midnight in Southport on mine..youth grin factor 10 :evil:
:) Z13 UK

I'm missing a couple of cylinders! 7 years 9 months ago #12842

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

KZQ wrote: Very Nice Bruce!

Sorta like mine:

I took that sissy bar off of mine so I've got the pad yours is missing if you want it. In case you didn't know it that engine is the same as the one in the GPZ1100 except for milder cams. The only issue I have with the bike is that the single position seat pushes me too far forward into the "BuckHorn" handle bars.
I paid $2,475.00 for mine a decade ago so you really scored.
Congratulations
Bill

Bill, you wouldn't possibly have the original grab bar from behind the seat that you would like to sell, would you? Yours looks every bit as pristine as mine. Maybe even more so! Your pipes are cleaner! I also almost bought a 550 version of this bike too, in the same colors and condition. When the weather allows I will be lining up my two ZN's and this new "little" KZ for a family shot!

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds