• Page:

TOPIC:

Oil Filter from hell !!! 8 years 4 months ago #10509

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I changed the oil and filter on my KZ900 yesterday, so today it was the turn for my Zed13 - they are identical components - only took 15 mins to do the Z900, but all did not go to plan with the 13 :S

Ive not changed the oil & filter on my Z13 before, as my bike came from the previous owner 1000 miles ago, just serviced with a receipt / invoice including oil change etc, carried by his local bike dealership.

I was surprised and somewhat miffed to find that no matter how many times I tried, I could not drop the filter, as it is fouled by the left hand collector box :ohmy: - its odd as the exhaust are in good undamged condition and don't appear out of alignment. Looks like I'll be removing the left hand set of pipes tommorow :angry:

Just wondered if anyone else has had any similar issue ? or if its just my good fortune :dry:

Cheers Tim

PS just realised how mucky it is under there !
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tonto.

Oil Filter from hell !!! 8 years 4 months ago #10510

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I remember this from years back .....exhaust removal is not needed . I pulled the center out of the assembly...all that is holding it together is a o-ring. You may have to grip the (17mmm surface with vicegrip pliers) and wiggle jiggle,twist,and pull straight down.then slide the oil filter cover out sideways. assemble in reverse operation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto

Oil Filter from hell !!! 8 years 3 months ago #10530

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Tony thanks - you were right.
It was the top grommet on the filter that was holding the bolt fast, which I assumed was the threads within the engine sump: a swift pull down on the bolt and I was able to slide the filter plate out sideways.
Still, it gave me an opportunity to clean under the engine whilst I was crawling about down there :whistle:

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Oil Filter from hell !!! 8 years 3 months ago #10537

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
......Glad ya got it ! when I first read your post It took my thoughts back nearly 30 years since I worked as a Kaw service tech. I bought my 1300 summer of 2014.....previous to that I hadn't worked on ,or seen a 1300 in decades ! .....................Tony :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds