Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New to me, too! 8 years 6 months ago #9659

• homer01
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
nice pickup, never seen one of them up close before and didn't realise how much gear they had on them, very nice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to me, too! 8 years 6 months ago #9660

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Don't stop now Bruce. That ride is a museum piece.
Good Score!
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

New to me, too! 8 years 6 months ago #9664

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

KZQ wrote: Don't stop now Bruce. That ride is a museum piece.
Good Score!
Bill

Are you guys TRYING to get me into trouble with all of this encouragement to buy? Not that I need any encouragement! I can get into trouble all on my own!
Actually, and unfortunately for my safety, there is even another '85 that looks awfully good on CL. If I can just sell my bass boat I will be buying it, too! A guy can't have too many ZN1300's ya know!
But, this one I just picked up is definitely the best example I've ever seen except when I bought my '83 brand new. Only Lucasind's all-black street fighter version has fewer miles than this one. I give him another month and he will rack up more miles than mine has, though. Well, MAYBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New to me, too! 8 years 6 months ago #9666

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

homer01 wrote: nice pickup, never seen one of them up close before and didn't realise how much gear they had on them, very nice

Actually, Homer, this particular bike has a LOT of extras added by the PO. All the bars and lights around the trunk and on the saddlebags and front fender are added. The running boards are Markland accessories. The trailer hitch is also a Markland accessory. Several engine covers and frame pieces have been chromed instead of the stock paint. And, the mufflers are not stock. The bottom edge of the seat and gas tank, as well as the top edge of the windshield have a chrome-plastic edge trim added that is not stock.
I'm not a big fan of all that doo-dad stuff, but will leave the trunk and saddlebag bars and lights as well as the front fender bars and all of the engine chrome stuff. The running boards will be swapped for stock pegs, though. I might keep the trailer hitch (ugly shape!), but if it shows any rust I will make up my own like I did for my '83 Voyager.
Even in stock form, these were very impressive bikes! And, they ride as smooth as they looked! Not uncommon for me to put in a 1000 mile day on my '83 in my mid-30's

New to me, too! 8 years 6 months ago #9673

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I'm so envious, Bruce. That Voyager is a beauty. I LOVE that color scheme. It just shows, too, what a huge difference it makes to the appearance of a bike when it is detailed / cleaned meticulously.
What make are the mufflers? Can't quite see them in the photos.
Is there a link to the video of the bike with the engine running - I'd really like to hear it! I've never had my KZ running yet, so I feel a bit deprived of the "mechanical symphony" of the six cylinder Kawasaki in action!
I wonder how the Voyager 1300 compares to more modern tourers, such as the GL1500 / GL1800?
Please keep us posted with regards to your new acquisition.

New to me, too! 8 years 6 months ago #9674

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have no idea what brand the mufflers are yet. I go to pick up the bike tomorrow. Just from the short video they don't seem to sound any different than stock ones.

From the video it sounds like it might have one cylinder missing at idle. New plugs right off for sure!

At a time when the Gold Wings were just offering a simple radio/cassette player, this had the intercom, compass, cruise-control ('86, '87, '88 and '89) and trip computer as standard equipment. Also came with soft luggage in both saddlebags and trunk. A very advanced bike for it's time, and still competitive.

s1194.photobucket.com/user/MLSpowersport...5-617%20018.mp4.html

Last edit: by trikebldr.
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds