Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Well hidden on Gumtree 8 years 4 months ago #9921

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Rick,
Over 300 views of the pics I posted over on the Sidecarist site, but still no replies of who might have made yours! I'm still calling it the Rick-Shaw. (your last name isn't Shaw, is it?) Looking at the step in tubing sizes on your sidecar's frame I get the impression it might be modified, or even home-made. Also, early models of a lot of sidecars were quite primitive until improvements were made, and with fiberglass molds this is especially true. So, that fender being molded onto Yaegunp's car could reflect a later generational "improvement". Too bad we can't set the two cars side-by-side to take some measurements of the different body sections to see if they did, in fact, come from the same mold.
That leading-link front end also looks to be non-production. I say "non-production" rather than home-made because HM sounds less than professional, and some of the features look awfully well thought out on it.
Just a nice rig all around with the polished aluminum storage box and gas/air(?) tank between the car and bike! Gives me ideas for my own new rig as it comes together!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by trikebldr.

Well hidden on Gumtree 8 years 4 months ago #9922

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
The leading link follows the design of Bob Simpson from Victoria. I believe it was made by Gert Roewer who lives in Victoria as well. Gert mainly does trikes many of which are z1300's and he would be in his early 70's now. When I met him he was 65 and he reckoned he had another 20 years left in him of applying his trade. Here are couple of examples of his work: -

As for the sidecar I have no idea who the manufacturer is/was I'm sorry to say
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.
Attachments:

Well hidden on Gumtree 8 years 4 months ago #9923

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Just did some research into some old correspondence I had with Gert and he stated that it is in fact a DJP sidecar. I thought it was but in all my searches I could not find one that was similar to mine.

Well hidden on Gumtree 8 years 4 months ago #9924

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

trikebldr wrote: Just a nice rig all around with the polished aluminum storage box and gas/air(?) tank between the car and bike! Gives me ideas for my own new rig as it comes together!

An air tank which is a reservoir for the truck horn. Yes it does work - There is a switch on the bike to switch between normal horn and air horn. Of course the air horn does not get used in traffic, road rage could become a real problem if I did. :whistle:

Well hidden on Gumtree 8 years 4 months ago #9925

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
I would REALLY like to see how he integrates the bike's final drive with a full rear axle and two wheels. Wonder if it has a differential. VEEERY interesting! Nice looking rigs!

Well hidden on Gumtree 8 years 4 months ago #9926

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I cant get a good view of the wheel arch but this is a pic of a friends HRD (made by Ron Hurdis) and it has a similar shape which could show a natural transition to an even newer shape.

I think the frame was made by a low volume manufacturer as I have seen one previously but cant remember (CRAFT Can't Remember A F*^%$#g Thing) where or who and others have also said that it is familiar.
I am fairly sure it isn't a DJP as I was fitting them to many bikes in the early 70s when they were first making them and they had an intergral wheel arch even then.
The Body on your chair is narrower at the rear and across the top at the headrest but has a striking similarity
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds