Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9527

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

lucasind wrote: ...Very nice buy there Bruce ! Last mentioned, I think I recall you saying you were thinking on building something from scratch,,, just my opinion but I think this is better ! (just trying to get ya back on the road sooner,and maybe even up to Hurley WI. next June ! )
Also was wondering if the sidecar heater is a automotive type heater core /w fan blower ? Do you notice the big six running cooler on the dash gauge as a result of the piping, extra core, and additional coolant capacity ?......................Tony :)

Yes, I was thinking about getting back on the road sooner, too, Tony! I will still build another 'car, though, and it will be closer in style than the Vetter. Hoping to pick up that '85 Voyager from another thread and the homebuilt 'car will be fit to it. Gotta sell my boat to get that bike, though.

The heater started as an auxiliary oil cooler coil set so it had AN fittings already on it. I made the sheet metal housing to duct the pancake fan across it. No duct work so it just blew gently across the monkey's lap and had a rheostat speed control and a 1/4-turn valve for flow control.

YES, that heater totally eliminated all overheating issues. But, so did adding an inline water pump and wrapping my exhaust pipes with heat tape just behind the radiator. With the sidecar heater valves fully opened, the thermostat is the only thing keeping it at sufficient temp. Killed two birds with one stone! It all worked well to cool the bike when pulling a fully loaded trailer and packed for long distance camping for three up riding. BIG mistake to have sold that bike! Trying to get back to that point!

YES, trying to be ready to attend the rally at Hurley next spring. Even if I have to go in my truck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by trikebldr.

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9533

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Thanks for the comprehensive reply to my questions, Bruce. You must be a very capable engineer to carry out all those modifications. And what a great story about how you came to own the bike. You've got a good woman there!
Looking forward to hearing about your future project.

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9538

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
....Thanks Bruce, very interesting reading of your ideas and the time you must have had into that first ZN 1300.The reason I asked about the temp on your bike is :
As long as my 1300 is moving....the dashboard temp gauge dosen't go above the center digital bar... but as soon as the bike is stopped during hot weather,she starts climbing one or two digital bars....I don't really see that as much of a issue that I intend on doing anything about cause as soon as I get the bike moving forward again after a stop ,and airflow through the radiator resumes ,right back to normal(center digital bar) goes the gauge.
Was also thinking GEE....too bad ya couldn't/didn't buy that wrecked bike from the insurance company for a song ! :( A wealth of "goodies" to have on hand for the next 1300........................Tony :)

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9547

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

lucasind wrote: ....Thanks Bruce, very interesting reading of your ideas and the time you must have had into that first ZN 1300.The reason I asked about the temp on your bike is :
As long as my 1300 is moving....the dashboard temp gauge dosen't go above the center digital bar... but as soon as the bike is stopped during hot weather,she starts climbing one or two digital bars....I don't really see that as much of a issue that I intend on doing anything about cause as soon as I get the bike moving forward again after a stop ,and airflow through the radiator resumes ,right back to normal(center digital bar) goes the gauge.
Was also thinking GEE....too bad ya couldn't/didn't buy that wrecked bike from the insurance company for a song ! :( A wealth of "goodies" to have on hand for the next 1300........................Tony :)

Basically, just the plastic and crash bars were tore up in the t-bone, and the insurance gave me $3400 and agreed at that price to let me keep the bike. They considered a bike with 112,000 miles to be beyond wore-out, and didn't want to hassle disposing of it. They would have given me another $300 if I gave them the bike. The sidecar was untouched. A friend of mine had the same bike with a blown motor, so he bought the hulk from me for $2000 including the sidecar and put all of his plastic on it to make a really decent machine again.

Tony, have you ever considered installing a switch to the fan to force it on so it keeps air moving long before things warm up? Also, try wrapping your exhaust pipes just behind the radiator area. Don't go below the bottom of the radiator though, so it doesn't show. I also used hose clamps at each end of the wrap to hold it in place solidly. Those six pipes radiate a LOT of heat!

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9551

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Yes , that fan coming on BEFORE the tempgauge climbs,would certainly be "the ticket" sounds like another thing to add to my list for the snow months !..............Tony :)

Show and Tell? 8 years 5 months ago #9557

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Last edit: by kwak1261.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds