• Page:

TOPIC:

An idea for flushing/cleaning carbs 9 years 2 months ago #6100

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
In conjunction with a syringe, this is what I used to flush-out the '79 carbs in the recent rebuild article. I did not have it when I cleaned the original '80 carbs on my bike several years ago. This may explain why the '80 carbs were on and off and stripped and re-cleaned 4 times before the bike would idle correctly.
With the other standard methods of cleaning accomplished I used this apparatus to flush backwards and forwards several times using lacquer-thinner. Connecting and blocking the various ports alternately, ensured every gallery and port was cleaned and flushed. Aside from a tiny piece of scarf from the threading required for the fuel line mod. which came off when the fitting was installed, the cleaning with this method proved thorough the first time. The carbs were ( essentially) installed once, dialed in and remain on the bike.
Everything used is everyday simple bits and pieces. A modeler currently on a bit of a break, I had the hand pump and silicone fuel-line. The silicone tubing does not like lacquer-thinner so a vinyl tubing would be preferable.
This is something easily made and adaptation from your own ideas can refine it from this point. Now my "secret" is out !

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

An idea for flushing/cleaning carbs 9 years 2 months ago #6101

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Golly there Bob, we're going to have to start calling you Doctor Scotch!

Good Job!
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

An idea for flushing/cleaning carbs 9 years 2 months ago #6106

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
As the saying goes " Necessity is the Mother of Invention" Good job there Mister.

Oh and the comment " a modeler currently on a bit of a break" kinda hits home. Trike Builder and myself have discovered we're both in to RC modeling. Wonder how many other KZ1300 owners have this as an alternate hobby.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds