Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

79 carb issues 9 years 1 month ago #6017

• SIXPIPES
  • SIXPIPES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
18 months now I have owned this bike and I still have not been out on it. I NEED HELP.
The issue I had was that the bike would run for 5 minutes and if I stopped it I could not get the bike started again. I cannot get a good tickover either.
I have stripped the carbs and had them in a sonic cleaner and they look great, carbs have been re-built with new re-build kits and I still have the same issues.
I have had to give the carbs over to some one who said he has lots of experience with these type of carbs - he tells me that the bores are worn ovel, he is suggesting that he coats the bores in Teflon and adds a spring (where ? )
Now this bike has only done 1300k and the engine is spotless, I re placed the cam chain, tensioner, sprocket etc.
Does any one know where I could get a decent set of carbs or have any ideas on what to do, if the bike did not sound like a dream when it does start I think I would just sell it on.
TRIUMPH T120R,BSA A7,BSA A10,BSA SPITFIRE,BSA ROCKET 3 RV,ARIAL SQ 4,S.O.S, RUDGE, BENELLI 750SEI,BENELLI 900SEI, KZ900, SUZUKI GT750, SUZUKI RE5, KAWASAKI H1A, KAWASAKI H2, MOTO GUZZI 850T, NORTON FASTBACK, NORTON INTERSTATE, SUNBEAM S8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79 carb issues 9 years 1 month ago #6020

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Clarification- do you mean "1300k" miles, as in 1,300,000? Or do you mean 1300 miles?

79 carb issues 9 years 1 month ago #6027

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Yup, need clarification. "tickover" Are you saying the engine isn't spinning over fast enough when trying to start the bike? If that's the case then probably there's not enough voltage left in the battery during cranking to supply decent primary voltage to the coils and you probably don't have any spark. The battery could be weak or the charging circuit is not keeping up to the demand. Near dead batteries have the ability to self regenerate a bit if you let them stand without a draw on them. Lots of possibilities here. More details please.

79 carb issues 9 years 1 month ago #6028

• SIXPIPES
  • SIXPIPES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry about that the bike has covered 13,000 miles.
When I say tick over I mean that the bike will start fairly easy but I have to keep the revs at 2000 rpm or more on the throttle (warm or cold) as if I take the throttle off it will just die. If I adjust the carbs to stay at 1500 rpm then when I open the throttle it takes an age for the revs to come back down, adjusting the pilot air screws is pointless as it makes very little difference. To keep the bike running I have to adjust the throttle cables.
TRIUMPH T120R,BSA A7,BSA A10,BSA SPITFIRE,BSA ROCKET 3 RV,ARIAL SQ 4,S.O.S, RUDGE, BENELLI 750SEI,BENELLI 900SEI, KZ900, SUZUKI GT750, SUZUKI RE5, KAWASAKI H1A, KAWASAKI H2, MOTO GUZZI 850T, NORTON FASTBACK, NORTON INTERSTATE, SUNBEAM S8.

79 carb issues 9 years 1 month ago #6030

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi SixPipes,

Is it possible that you have a vacuum leak? That's what your symptoms sound like. Try to get the bike running as smoothly as you can and then spray some WD-40 on the carb connectors, the ones between the carbs and the engine. Spray the top area and the bottoms as best you can. If the idle changes you have an intake leak. Also, Your bores are NOT worn oval!

Keep us posted. We've been there!

Good luck.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

79 carb issues 9 years 1 month ago #6031

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Hi sixpipes, another member "Scotch" has done a couple of great posts on rebuilding the carbs on a 79 if you look them up you may find some more info on how clean your may not be.

hope this is of some help.

Good luck

I found once that the vent rubber just under the gas cap got pinched off and caused my bike to quit and not start until I opened the cap and the vacuum disappeared

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds