Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

engine running on 2.5 cylinders? 9 years 5 months ago #5117

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
i have decided to start again my 1300 yesterday when after so long in sitting, it came to life.

however, after about 7 minutes on idle i noticed again on the header pipes that:

no1 was warm
no2 was cold
no3 was cold
no4 was cold
no5 was hot
no6 was hot

the bike idles but obviously shows no power when you rev the engine.

this is a relatively new bike for me that i had purchased going back about 8 months ago.

when i first got i never rode it but noticed it started with the same problem as described above.
i decided first to change the water pump seals as there was water in with the oil and clean all the carbies via one of those ultrasonic cleaners....
i replaced also with new oil and coolant.

the compression on all cylinders is good.

it is a 1979 model that has done about 14000 miles with most of its life sitting indoors.

i wanted to try and get it going by myself before i succumb and take it to a technician of which im looking for a good one in sydney if i have to go that way.

anyone hazard a guess at where should i start?

cheers
met

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine running on 2.5 cylinders? 9 years 5 months ago #5118

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
My guess is carb issues. But first have you checked the valve clearances? Although with only 14K on the clock they're not likely the issue.

Five and Six hot: same carb different coils
Three and Four cold: same carb same coil

If you're sure the carbs are clean and the diaphragms aren't torn I'd look to the fuel levels with the wet method.

Now that I think of it, colder on the left side says flooded cylinders to me.

Check your fuel levels, wet method.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

engine running on 2.5 cylinders? 9 years 5 months ago #5119

• kennyb
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Could be carbs or valves bad coils. Unfortunately you have to do some detective work and trouble shooting or you will be a slave to the M/C mechanic.I knew nothing 3 years ago about carbs or valves and compression. I had vague knowledge my self. With the help of this site and the factory manual I have become very well versed on the KZ1300.Now I wouldn't even consider taking it to mechanic. I was frustrated and close to it a few times though. Just time and patience and you will definitely sort it out I'm sure. Start with easy stuff like checking the coils,spark plugs,condition of the battery etc and then move up to compression and valve clearances.

engine running on 2.5 cylinders? 9 years 5 months ago #5121

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Met:

I had the same issues when I resurrected my barn find two years ago.

It came down to the basic troubleshooting that Kenny's talking about in his comments.

The biggest issue with mine was float level, new coils, and a clean idle circuit. Also make sure you have a Gunson Color-Tune while adjusting your idle mixture. You'll find your mixture screws should be about approx. 3 turns out.

Keep us posted.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

engine running on 2.5 cylinders? 9 years 5 months ago #5127

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
With the 13s and for that matter most other engines get the valve clearances right first then the float levels and anything else will be fairly easy to troubleshoot. Any time you work on the valves keep notes of what shims were/are in it and the clearances. You will find problems before they cause you lots of grief.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: met1212

engine running on 2.5 cylinders? 9 years 5 months ago #5131

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
thanks todd......3 turns???
i read in the manual its 1.5 turns

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds