Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carb floats 9 years 6 months ago #4684

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Has anyone tried pour 15 to coat the floats .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb floats 9 years 6 months ago #4686

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
That's a great suggestion Auz_z1300 and option that I would encourage anyone to try first. The concern will be the weight of the coating and it's ability to be 100% fuel-proof. Firstly: Any additional weight will have a negative impact on the floats' ability to close the needle-valve and to keep it closed with enough force to resist leakage and flooding. Secondly and of greatest concern would be: What if the coating breaks down and what will that residue do to the jets/idle-circuits? Varnish from gasoline is bad enough !
Although coating mine was considered it wasn't an option for the above reasons, but it certainly doesn't mean it couldn't be done. I'd start by finding a suitable epoxy that is fuel-proof. The test will be to see if it remains fuel-proof when cut 50/50 ( or more) with alcohol to thin it enough to dip & drip. Applying any type of coating as thick as epoxy (out of the tubes) will make them so heavy they will never leave the bottom of the bowl.
The advantage of the brass floats is that they are significantly lighter (relatively speaking). 7.9g brass as opposed to 10.7g Nytrohpil. Theoretically the additional buoyancy should exert a proportional increase in needle closing pressure and that can't be a bad thing.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Carb floats 9 years 6 months ago #4687

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Are the original, or even OEM floats still available?
I could do with a replacement set for my bike, so give me a shout if you are making some.
Z1300 UK

Last edit: by McZed.

Carb floats 9 years 6 months ago #4701

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
About 11 years ago when I first determined my floats were "dead" I made inquiries to every Internet advertised supplier of Kawasaki parts. I pursued this actively for several months with no results. To my knowledge and understanding at this time there are no OEM or after-market floats available. It was for this reason I had no choice but to develop the brass floats for my own 1300.
Another option exists and I will keep this forum aware of any developments as this evolves.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Carb floats 9 years 6 months ago #4709

• Roadhazardguy
  • Thank you received: 1
Here's a couple places that say the floats are "available" but I doubt they really are. www.speedsupplies.com/parts/kawasaki-16031-1006.htm www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-16031-1006.html

Have you thought about using a brass float from some other bike or car then soldering on the tab from the 1300? Ive been searching the web for pictures of other floats and some look like they might work but I'm just having trouble finding dimensions on them.

Carb floats 9 years 6 months ago #4718

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I was thinking of the pour 15 product they use to line rusty tanks with or any tank liner product really.
On another note
I'd be interested to hear of anyone trying rubber tipped needles as well .
As i am running a fuel pump from a carbed bike .It did have some issues on hot start where it seemed to be to rich i was thinking rubber tipped needles would cut off the fuel better.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds