Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel injection brain storming 9 years 11 months ago #2980

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Up until 2005 BMW was running fuel injection without cam sensors. They are not essential by any means but do become so when variable cam timing comes into play and I have yet to see a Z/KZ 1300 with that.
I haven't got to the stage of fitting anything to the Z and probably wont for some time.
My personal feelings on this are the Kawasaki manifolds and injectors which is an easy fit.
The best ECU by a country mile is the mega squirt.
The best pressure to run at is the EU 3bar standard which is 44psi, that is what the vast majority of injection works at nowdays. All the new injectors are rated at X cc/min or X lb/hr at 3 bar (1 bar is 1 atmosphere or approx 14.5psi.
I tried to get information on the Bosch Motronic injection which is used on many European cars and bikes but no luck they treat 25 year old technology like it is the crown jewels, probably so nobody can fix it and will buy a new car or bike.
There are people around who have reverse engineered the electronics to find out the programing and they want money for information, I suppose that is their way but they wont get a penny out of me.
The Mega squirt is open source software and as so freely available to any one who wants to fiddle with it.
The latest version has 8 variable channels to run fuel and ignition timing and crank and cam sensors if they are available. Basically what this means is that 8 stages can be programed into the ECU with ignition and sequential injection made variable within those stages.
Those stages can be things like Idle, off idle, cold start lower mid range etc till wide open throttle and rev limiters.
Kits can be purchased in various stages or straight out, out of the box units ready to be used.

I know that Kawasaki called the FI on the six DFI but in reality it isn't digital just the same as the EFI on the early K100/75 BMWs wasn't digital although BMW called it digital for the purposes of marketing. After all who would have bought a bike when the factory said it has this analogue fuel injection when you could buy a digital watch for $5 (because it showed the time in digits as against a rotary dial)

Most of what you want and need to know and I dare say things you would have prefered not to know are here www.msextra.com/
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RickG. Reason: Added link

Fuel injection brain storming 9 years 11 months ago #2986

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
After reading all that & despite the Mikunis on the 1300 being a joke........

I AM SO PLEASED I STILL HAVE CARBS.!!

FI sounds like a hell of a lot of tec, fuss, & more things to go wrong & not be able to fix at the side of the road..............
This is the reason I throw my 911 at the dealer for work.......but do my bike myself.

It makes sooty plugs somehow look a lot more acceptable !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Fuel injection brain storming 9 years 11 months ago #2989

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Pete, me old mate, I'll remember that when my ZG fires straight up from it's Winter slumber with no problem at all ;) lol
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.

Fuel injection brain storming 9 years 11 months ago #2992

• wrgoo56
  • wrgoo56's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Ok Rick I get to reading all that info and see what I can come up with. There are two throttle body sets on ebay one for 450.00 and one for 375.00. There is some thing else I noticed about the throttle bodys all the butter flys are one adjustment rod you don't have to snyc them. Like you have to do with the carbs now why couldn't they have done that with the carbs. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Fuel injection brain storming 9 years 11 months ago #2995

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Nice one RickG
a few years ago i did a full megasquirt install with Edis 8 on my V8 defender.
mainly to waterproof it and remove the dizzy.
it was also switchable from gas to petrol, the beauty of that is you can instantly advance the timing to allow for the slower burning gas.
if i ever get to the point that the carbs wont work then i shall be squirting the Z1300

Ian

worth a look

Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds