TOPIC:

More carb woes? 2 years 5 days ago #30237

• PaulD
  • PaulD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Getting a bit fed up now!
Got the bike out for a run today after adjusting the choke/fast idle cam. She fired up virtually straight away but seemed very sensitive to the choke position? The choke pings off as soon as you touch the the throttle as it’s supposed to but it doesn’t like running on full choke. Juggling the choke lever and throttle I got her warmed up and went for a run but she won’t tick over and splutters badly till the tacho hits 2k then she runs a treat. I whipped the plugs out and she’s running really lean despite it being perfect last time out. I’ve had the tank off and I’ve got a good flow of fuel plus the inline filter was spotless? The fuel line isn’t kinked so I can’t see it being fuel flow. With the filter being clean I’m hoping it’s not blocked jet’s again. Any ideas guys before I set fire to it 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More carb woes? 2 years 5 days ago #30238

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
She fired up virtually straight away but seemed very sensitive to the choke position?

Not unusual if "other" carb settings aren't correct.

The choke pings off as soon as you touch the throttle as it’s supposed to but it doesn’t like running on full choke.

The Choke should stay in any position it is set to. That's the purpose of the heavy (short) spring behind the choke lever. This can be problematic if the correct (thickness) friction-washer (plastic)isn't used.  FULL choke is ONLY designed to "prime" the engine. Choke plungers fully open - Throttle plates Closed  to what ever your Idle adjustment (between the left and center carbs) is set to.  Once the engine fires-up the choke is reduced.  (Plungers closing, reducing "choke-Fuel and the throttle plates should be opened up slightly. ( the function of the fast-idle/cam/roller setting.) 

Juggling the choke lever and throttle I got her warmed up and went for a run but she won’t tick over and splutters badly .......

Pull the plug-leads one at a time and you'll  find the "bad" cyl. Indicative of a dirty/blocked) Idle jet. 

........till the tacho hits 2k then she runs a treat.

This would indicate the transition ports are OK
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds