TOPIC:

Correct Fuel Line Routing 10 years 1 month ago #2479

• zoso
  • zoso's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Hello All

Does anyone know what the correct routing is for the fuel line. On my KZ it goes under the carbs and on my Z it goes over the carbs.
I had the carbs off my Z at the weekend to clean them out and adjust the mixture screws. While off I decided to reroute the fuel line to the same as the kz1300 (under the carbs). Big mistake.......the bike starts fine and runs okay at 1500-2000 rpm but it will only idle for a few minutes before spluttering then cutting out - same symptoms you get if you close the petcock. So clearly the carbs aren't getting enough fuel at idle with the "underneath" routing of the pipe.
Why is this ? Do the Z and KZ have different fuel line routings ?
Before I go and change it back I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience of this ?

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Correct Fuel Line Routing 10 years 1 month ago #2481

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Zoso,

Run 7mm bore pipe (minimum) out of tap and straight along the back of rocker cover then
OVER the TOP of far right carb then back along the rear of the carbs & into the juction.
This means the fuel has least resistance to gravity & is pretty much straight into carbs.

If you want to fit a filter, then fit it in the straight part of the pipe along the rear of the rocker cover.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoso

Correct Fuel Line Routing 10 years 1 month ago #2483

• zoso
  • zoso's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Cheers Pete - that's next weekends work sorted out.

:)

Correct Fuel Line Routing 10 years 1 month ago #2487

• KEL
  • Thank you received: 0
I was thinking about this too. So you say route to the rear of the carbs then over the top to this inlet?? (circled in yellow)

Correct Fuel Line Routing 10 years 1 month ago #2496

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

KEL wrote: I was thinking about this too. So you say route to the rear of the carbs then over the top to this inlet?? (circled in yellow)

As a general rule of thumb, it is best to have the fuel supply hose as short as possible. I route my hose straight out of the tap, then turn it down between the front half of the LH and Center carbs. (Still using my electric shut off valve.) Then straight up to the carburetor "T".

If you're not using that electric fuel shut off valve, your idea of turning up the fuel "T" is a good plan. Just make sure it does not interfere with the throttle linkage.

On Hot days, you are better off at having as short of fuel hose as possible. Less surface area to transfer heat to the fuel supply.

Regards.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Correct Fuel Line Routing 10 years 1 month ago #2497

• KEL
  • Thank you received: 0
That T junction pivots on mine meaning it can be pointing up or down. Maybe try it up??

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds