Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

R/H Exhaust Popping, no power after 4k 3 years 8 months ago #27550

• ukblade
  • ukblade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi again,
Tried to go out for a 1st ride after getting bike going from a 11 year sleep.
New fuel pump as old one was seized solid, new filters, tank cleaned etc.
I have fitted new HT leads and Denso iridium plugs.
Taken a video, link below, as right hand exhaust is popping and making all sorts of odd noises.

Bike rides up to 4k perfectly, although with plenty of popping but then stops at that point and will not rev any higher.
Could this be injectors?
New fuel pump in it's details listed a fuel flow @ 3 bar and @5 bar, currently only showing 32psi, yes, I know this is very low but would that stop it revving any higher?
I haven't cleaned fuel rail, so not sure if I should try that and maybe pull the injectors, if I do can you actually see if they are corroded or would I need to send them for cleaning.
Left exhaust sounds perfect.
Would like to state, it sounds far worse when stood next to it than on video.
Appreciate any advice or help.

Cheers Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ukblade.

R/H Exhaust Popping, no power after 4k 3 years 8 months ago #27551

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
According to the manual, the fuel rail pressure should be between 33 and 36 psi so a test reading of 32 psi would be fine given test gauge calibration, temperature etc.
If it has sat for 11 years, that would be abnormal (suggesting that whomever laid it up probably didn't lay it up for a long period of time.) I would suspect you may be experiencing blockage of injectors. If the gas tank smelled like dead shellac when you opened it up, then likely the same breakdown of the fuel also happened in the fuel rail, pressure regulator and the injectors.
I'd pull the injectors and send them out for testing/cleaning then you can write those of the list of things to look at. Those in the business always test prior to and after rebuilding so if your problem is there, you'll be told about it.
Then pull the pressure regulator and see if it shows signs of shellac ( what happens to gas when it goes stale) Clean it up with lacquer thinner. Just for insurance since your fuel pressure test basically says there's nothing wrong with it.
I'm assuming the DFI control unit is not showing any codes?? It checks the input signals and will report issues but it can't check for outputs so if it's not showing codes, then your issues are likely mechanically related.

hope this helps,
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: ukblade

R/H Exhaust Popping, no power after 4k 3 years 8 months ago #27586

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I am no expert by any means and mine is a carburettor model, but mine did the same on one side until I set the fuel mixture correctly and balanced the carbs. So I think this is definitely a fuel delivery issue.

Bad fuel affect everything it touches. Cleaning EVERYTHING fuel related won't hurt and eliminates possible causes.
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ukblade

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds