Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

K and N Filter + Tank return valve 4 years 21 hours ago #26606

• ukblade
  • ukblade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Whilst bike was apart for my electrical issues, now solved, I've decided to give it a fair service.
Couple more questions to you knowledgeable lot, if you don't mind.
Attached a photo of the K&N Filter that I've pulled out, so I've ordered the K&N cleaner kit to see if I can rescue it.
Can I assume that if it ends up looking fairly clean with no obvious holes in the gauze, once oiled again should it be good to go or is there anything else to look for, I've no idea actually how old the filter is.
Second question has come up whilst I was browsing questions asked on here.
When I start the bike it is very rich, to the point of 30 secs running and you have to leave the garage, now I read that it could be the return valve in tank, so whilst it was off so I could put a new set of plugs in, I checked the valve.
Guess what! Solid, I've tried pressing down on it whilst on a bench but it doesn't move at all, so my question is, Can you tap it with a blunt punch, if so how hard?
If not, what are my options.
Thanks again, Mark.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ukblade.

K and N Filter + Tank return valve 4 years 21 hours ago #26607

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
K&N filter. It will clean up like new. Just don't spray it with a pressure washer. Use the cleaner and swish it around in a sink.

The return valve- I would think the safest thing to do is soak it in Lacquer Thinner overnight and then tap it on something soft and see if it loosens up. I don't think forcing it with a punch is a good idea. Lacquer Thinner seems to resolve most fuel stuck parts issues.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

K and N Filter + Tank return valve 3 years 11 months ago #26622

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
That return valve was still available & quite cheap last time I bought one ...was 10 years ago mind. Re. the K&N air filter I'm starting to err away from them & similar filters now, they may flow more air but they also let more dirt into the engine, they're a compromise. Your choice, but if the cleaning kit does the job & there are no holes (hold it up to the sunlight to check) you're good to go.
Only dead fish go with the flow

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds