• Page:

TOPIC:

Petcock Fuel Screen 4 years 11 months ago #23865

• mlyle11
  • mlyle11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all! I've read many old threads on the Petcock and screens. Lots of good info on how to lap the valve back in shape and replacement options.
I have two valves from some reallllllly nasty tanks. Inches of sludge. Over night soak in some simple green and they came really clean. I thought both screens were intact, but a minor tear is in one. I will use an inline filter as well though so not to worried about the tear. Both have debris inside the screens. It ooks like they are glued in? Any recommendations on removing them without damaging them? Maybe very hot water to soften the glue? Don't know why I obsess over the original parts! I have seem many great replacement options in the forums, but just want to try and save where I can!

PS: The family is thrilled with smell of decades old fuel permeating the house!
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petcock Fuel Screen 4 years 11 months ago #23866

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I doubt they're glued in - what looks like 'glue' in your photos is probably built up varnish from old gasoline. The screens are a pretty tight fit - not sure how best to remove without damage - maybe put the entire tap in some boiling water - asuming boiling water won't damage the plastic of the screen - for a few minutes which might expand the tap body enough to allow the screen to be wiggled out.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlyle11

Last edit: by Bucko.

Petcock Fuel Screen 4 years 11 months ago #23867

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
The screen is very very tight, seems like fused to the petcock. You need pliers to twist and pull. Most likely it will come out in pieces. I think there is no way to remove them without damage. And these screens are very, very brittle! You will tear more of them in no time.

I think the way to go is to just cut them off at the petcock body level. Leave the remaining piece of the bottom of the screen inside. 0r - with use of a small screw driver, a pick, and pliers, remove what's left. Then - just install as is and use an inline fuel filter. That's what many do and I've done as well. I have a spare petcock with a perfect screen in the drawer, which I was lucky to get, but I'm not touching it. Petcock without a screen with external inline fuel filter works just fine.

Petcock Fuel Screen 4 years 11 months ago #23869

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
I think scotch wrote a post on replacing the plastic filter with a fine brass gauze.

Petcock Fuel Screen 4 years 11 months ago #23871

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

I think scotch wrote a post on replacing the plastic filter with a fine brass gauze.

Yes. But there is really no magic to it - just put a piece of mesh around the tube and secure it with a wire. The reserve is just a hole, you'd need to stick a piece of tube in it as well and then wrap it. The mesh around the main tube will give that protection similar to the original screen, but leaving the reserve hole as is will not protect that one. Best never switching to reserve in that case and monitor the miles. Maybe disconnect the fuel line and drain some fuel to clear anything from the bottom.
So... this way or the other - why not. But with an external filter added, it's proven to work just fine. There is no petcock or mesh on my Vmax, and that's a 1200 cc. Just an external in-line filter by factory design and works just fine. Even with the fuel line smaller than that on KZ1300, there is absolutely no problem with the flow. It pulls like a train when the v-boost kicks in at 6000 rpm, and that is when each one cylinder gets mix from two carburetors at once.

I'd say just remove the screen with all it's skeleton frame, clean the petcock and install as is. Then fit an inline filter - cheap an easy to replace.
I'll post a photo and some detail if you choose to go that route.

Last edit: by StanG.

Petcock Fuel Screen 4 years 11 months ago #23872

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
The problem with removing the in-tank screen, is it will allow crud to collect in the tap body making an already difficult to operate tap, even more difficult to operate. I would suggest cleaning as best you can while keeping the screen intact (you can clean the internals of the tap body without removing the screen) and put it back into service.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds