Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carby troubles ? 10 years 1 month ago #1818

• toyinau2
  • toyinau2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Pete
I did manage to get the pilot jets out with some effot and the cylinder that is not working was blocked completely at the time have replaced all jets and soaked and used air pressure through as many holes as i could but still no good . will try ultrsonic cleaning if no good will have to try another Carby . But not a lot of spares over here so would prob have to come from the States.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carby troubles ? 10 years 1 month ago #1824

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Steve:

Like Pete recommends, sometimes your existing core set of carbs can be so problematic, it is just easier to find a new (Old) core set of carbs.

I went through three cleanings with carb kits, before I just called it quits and ordered what appeared to be a good used set online. Fortunately with a thorough cleaning and rebuild kits, this set has made the bike run the best it has in years.

Finding a good quality core set of carbs online can be dicey and is a hit or miss proposition. Whomever you buy them from, make sure they have a good return policy so if on initial inspection they don't look good, you are not out of your purchase price.

Regards.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Carby troubles ? 10 years 1 month ago #1825

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Todd / Steve,

Just looking back on this post, Todd mentioned using White Vinegar as a possible cleaning agent.

I can second this as a very good method. My current 1300 had stood for quite sometime before I bought it & the inside of the tank was very rusty & needed de-rusting. I looked at many fancy tank cleaners (with their matching fancy price) but came across a bike forum on the web where someone had used White Vinegar to de-rust and old tank so I gave it a try.
After leaving the tank half full of the stuff & moving it around over a week or so I was absolutely gobsmacked how good a job it had done & made the inside of the tank beautiful silver fresh steel. I then coated it with Petseal Ultra & its all good & sealed now.

Todds post has made me think........if White Vinegar cleans steel so well, it must surely be just as good on alloy.
THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO RESEARCH IS IF IT WILL EAT OR DISCOLOR THE ALLOY. ????
You could always test it with a small alloy part off old carbs first ?

If ok, then get your carb bodies in a bucket of the stuff for a week or so, changing position each day, and see how it copes.

I always find the natural remedies are best..........but hate the smell of vinegar !!!

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Carby troubles ? 10 years 1 month ago #1830

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
While we are talking about rust removal, I recently ran across another method that seems to work. I have not used this product yet. As demonstrated on www.jaylenosgarage.com

Archoil produces their AR5100 that is supposed to do a good job on rust removal. It's a natural non toxic solution and it's is low cost. See Amazon link below. It can be re-used multiple times.

www.amazon.com/AR5100-16-Concentrate-16-...=8-2&keywords=aR5100

As with any tank project, it's all in the preparation and it is a must to methodically follow the directions.

I'm currently evaluating their friction modifiers and oil cleaner for crankcases. So far their fuel stabilizer seems to be working in my truck well enough to see if it works in the bikes.

The Youtube video below demonstrates the 5100's results.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978
The following user(s) said Thank You: strate6

Carby troubles ? 10 years 1 month ago #1835

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Todd,

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Please let us know results on the bike.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Carby troubles ? 10 years 1 month ago #1842

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Many of the older Mikunis are made of a zinc alloy and that and vinegar react very quickly so be cautious and try a small section on the outside of the body first.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds