Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22355

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Quite an eye candy - especially for Scotch!

Perhaps this bike was on fire - the choke plastic part is melted and bubbled, and so is partially the plastic around the shaft of the idle rpm's adjuster. But everything else seems to be actually intact. I still don't know how could this happen, to have so much crud inside? Maybe some extinguisher media got there? No idea. But that would explain the 'stuff' being sucked in.

This actually looks much better in the photo. There is a layer of this colored compacted 'dust' at least a couple millimeters thick! Like dry rivers in Africa!

The diaphragms are fine, the pistons look great and no sign of any wear. It makes me think that this is off a bike with not much mileage. The butterflies and pistons were free, and the choke was just fine.

Perhaps it wasn't a big fire, perhaps the bike was very overheated by being revved up to the extreme?
In any case, this is going to be cleaned up, serviced, and become a good set of carbs. That's the plan, if no extreme surprises try to attack me! LOL.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22357

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Yikes! Where do you find these things?
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22358

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Just like most of us I guess, on eBay!... Unfortunately, most great stuff is South the border.

It's not as bad as it looks. Just did a 5 minutes rinse in the kitchen sink :) They will be shiny like new after a couple ultrasonic treatments.

Attachments:

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22359

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Another 5 minutes: just brushed off some of the crud and sprayed with carburetor cleaner to wash it off. It's not so bad. Actually, the worst looking one (on the right) looks the cleanest. It often happens that a piece of machinery covered with a thick layer of oily dirt grime is a good sign, from the perspective of preservation. It seals and protects from moisture, and deterioration.

Attachments:

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22362

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Between doing other things and watching TV, I got the carbs completely disassembled and cleaned a bit, which happen 'naturally' while handling them removing all the screws and jets etc., spraying some carb cleaner and Kroil.

Ready in the box to go on shelf until I wake up the ultrasonic cleaner for some action. In the meantime, they can soak in Kroil as I left everything as is without wiping them down. Good night carbs!!!

Attachments:

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22383

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
After ultrasonic bath. All the insides of the carbs are shiny like new, and most other surfaces as well. There is lots of discoloration, which shows bad in photos but the surfaces are actually quite clean. The left carb body needs some surface detailing though. Vapor blasting would be best. I might test it with this one.
Other than that, it will need the usual new gaskets, o-rings etc. The floats are fine, diaphragms fine.

Now soaking the brass internal parts in lacquer thinner. Then making them spotless ans see what will be re-used.

As to carb bodies, next will be some manual scrubbing, another ultrasonic bath, and flushing them with the thinner.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds