Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 3 weeks ago #19269

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Glad to hear the "paper-trick" worked. I have 2 ideas regarding your problem but I need to know how you cleaned the carbs? Keep smilin'.....we know it will run !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 3 weeks ago #19271

• mizztheman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Hi Scotch,

Carbs were stripped down then everything went into the ultra sonic cleaner. I then cleaned the carbs again using your carb cleaning tool with paint thinners (except rubber parts) as the cleaning agent. All jets were inspected for blockages and finally blown through with compressed air.

You would have thought that ultra sonic cleaning would have been enough but I was surprised at the colour of the thinners after I used your cleaning tool.

New floats and fuel tap installed complete with gauze filter and an additional in line filter with a 40 micron gauze installed.

Any thoughts on what the possible cause may be will be gratefully received.

Regards

Martin.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 3 weeks ago #19273

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks for the info. Paint thinner is not "strong" enough to dissolve the coatings that todays fuel leaves behind. Plus - Your symptoms are indicative of un-dissolved debris remaining in the carb galleries. I've never used Ultra-Sonic cleaning but have read enough threads to understand it's not the final solution. Some have suggested that this method can not work effectively in the small gallery areas.
It may "pain" you to have to go through this procedure again but I'm suggesting you do; but this time use Lacquer-thinner. You may be equally surprised at "the color" of the discharge by doing this. And, you may/should get some solid debris flushed out with this solvent. It would be very interesting to know what comes out so try to capture the discharge in some form of filter - even if you simply use a piece of paper-towel to trap the junk.
Do not under estimate the "shit" that new fuel will leave behind within minutes of running through a cleaned set of carbs. It's disgusting to see such heavy "staining" in the venturi's on the bottom of the bores coming from the main-jet as well as on the top, from the idle-ports. Nothing we can do about the quality of fuel. Can't speak of other territories but various Canadian fuels I've tried leave the same shit-stains. regardless of "winter" or "summer" fuel or brand. Our sources here are limited to 3 refineries.

It sounds like you used the Cleaning Tool correctly; aside from not using Lacquer-thinner. "Regular" paint thinner just doesn't cut-it (pun intended!)
When you think you're done..............do it once more ! That should solve your problem.
1 final comment: I've done a couple of successful "Quick-Flushes" using the Cleaning Tool. I did this as much as a "Test" as anything. Had a fuel-filter "Issue" that gave me an idle-"pop". I removed the carbs, drained the bowls and flushed each venturi several times to ensure that what ever was being flushed into the bowls would be drained out. This is a short-cut but does work if the carbs are otherwise clean, with the exception of "that one piece of debris".
Don't worry about the lacquer thinner damaging the rubber "bits" The throttle shaft-seals are isolated by the Cleaning Tools" design. Just don't "soak" the rubber parts for any length of time. Lacquer-thinner evaporates very quickly on it's own and almost immediately with some compressed air.
This should help ! Let us know please.
I'm "outta here" for a couple of weeks to go soak up some Cuban sun, drink some great "Sugar-cane" beverages and sniff some MI-7 turbine gases ! I'll look forward (?) to reading your results IF I decide to come home !
cheers, scotch-on-rum

Last edit: by scotch.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 3 weeks ago #19275

• mizztheman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Hi Scotch,

If you haven’t already left for Cuba I used nitro cellulose thinner. The only other thinner available on eBay is 2k thinner. Doesn’t seem to be a specific lacquer-thinner. What would you recommend.

Regards

Martin.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 3 weeks ago #19283

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Martin: I know it only as "Lacquer Thinner". There's something stuck in my mind about someone once using "nitro cellulose" thinner - I belieive parts were soaked for a lenghty period and it caused serious problems due to it's destructive affect on aluminum. I seem to recall kawboy making a comment on this but the details are unclear at this time. Maybe kawboys memory is better ! (In Canada) Lacquer Thinner is readily availvable by this name so I'm reluctant to suggest anything else. Lacquer Thinner is an amazing solvent - one which I use in place of all others due to it's superior ability to dislove fuel varnish, grease and most anything else it comes in contact with. No lingering odor or residual "film" like "Paint-thinner" and as mentioned previously it evaporates very quickly - especially with the help of some compressed-air.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mizztheman

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 3 weeks ago #19284

• Haggler
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Laquer thinner on amazon, not cheap though but if it is that good then worth it
www.amazon.co.uk/Klean-Strip-Green-Qkgl7...?ref_=nav_ya_signin&
The following user(s) said Thank You: mizztheman

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds