Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 2 weeks ago #19289

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Haggler wrote: Laquer thinner on amazon, not cheap though but if it is that good then worth it
www.amazon.co.uk/Klean-Strip-Green-Qkgl7...?ref_=nav_ya_signin&

$23.99 Canadian $ where I come from. (at the local hardware store)
www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Pai...4?Ntt=laquar+thinner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 2 weeks ago #19290

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

scotch wrote: Martin: I know it only as "Lacquer Thinner". There's something stuck in my mind about someone once using "nitro cellulose" thinner - I believe parts were soaked for a lengthy period and it caused serious problems due to its destructive affect on aluminum. I seem to recall Kawboy making a comment on this but the details are unclear at this time. Maybe Kawboy's memory is better! (In Canada) Lacquer Thinner is readily available by this name so I'm reluctant to suggest anything else. Lacquer Thinner is an amazing solvent - one which I use in place of all others due to its superior ability to dissolve fuel varnish, grease and most anything else it comes in contact with. No lingering odor or residual "film” like "Paint-thinner" and as mentioned previously it evaporates very quickly - especially with the help of some compressed-air.

Well......Scotch..... You’re a better man than me. I did a search on the site for cellulose thinners and found this post of mine.
kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburators-f...d-pt-1?start=18#7748
I guess Zed_Thirteen boiled a set of carbs in water with lemon juice, then soaked the carbs in Cellulose thinner, then let the carbs sit in a water bath overnight.The "process" did some real damage to the carbs. Once I found the post I remembered it.
I guess one thing we should all remember is that "terms" we use in one part of the world may mean something completely different in another part of the world. At the time of the cellulose posts 2 years ago we (Canadians) were talking about lacquer thinner and our UK guys thought we just meant thinners (which at the time cellulose thinners was predominant in UK) and recently someone thought we were talking about paint thinners which in Canada is Varsol, which is so mild most of us old timers used it for getting grease off of our hands and a general parts cleaner for removing grease. (We all had it in our parts cleaning tanks) The chemical composition of these 3 different thinners is totally different. Lacquer thinner was designed for thinning lacquer based paints, cellulose thinner was for thinning cellulose based paints and paint thinner was for thinning oil based paints. A lot of us found different uses for these thinners other than thinning paint.

Bottom line- We all love to share our "trade secrets" in the hopes of helping our Brothers on this site. We just need to be cognisant of each other’s mannerisms and we each need to fully understand what our friends are telling us before going ahead with suggestions. Zed_Thirteen's episode with a set of carbs was a disaster and shouldn't have happened. We all learned about this 2 years ago and "apparently" some of us Old Farts forgot what we learned 2 years ago. My how the brain ages quicker than the body. !!

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 2 weeks ago #19293

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
HOLY CRAP Kawboy. Almost lost my breakfast when I saw Those photos again !!!!!!
Thanks for the memories !
Sorry to say I can't elaborate anymore then I have already about "Lacquer-thinner" other then to say I buy it at the local Hardware/Building supply store.
In Canada that's "Home Hardware" and it's about $22.00/ 4 litres.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by scotch.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 2 weeks ago #19295

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Dido on getting it from Home Hardware. Since you got me on to Laquer Thinner I too buy it by the gallon. (Almost thinking if we lived closer to each other we could share a 45 gallon drum). Although if I use it in the garage for an hour, I'm too drunk to go and have a Scotch How's that for tying it all together. :silly:

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 2 weeks ago #19296

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

Kawboy wrote:

scotch wrote: Martin: I know it only as "Lacquer Thinner". There's something stuck in my mind about someone once using "nitro cellulose" thinner - I believe parts were soaked for a lengthy period and it caused serious problems due to its destructive affect on aluminum. I seem to recall Kawboy making a comment on this but the details are unclear at this time. Maybe Kawboy's memory is better! (In Canada) Lacquer Thinner is readily available by this name so I'm reluctant to suggest anything else. Lacquer Thinner is an amazing solvent - one which I use in place of all others due to its superior ability to dissolve fuel varnish, grease and most anything else it comes in contact with. No lingering odor or residual "film” like "Paint-thinner" and as mentioned previously it evaporates very quickly - especially with the help of some compressed-air.

Well......Scotch..... You’re a better man than me. I did a search on the site for cellulose thinners and found this post of mine.
kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburators-f...d-pt-1?start=18#7748
I guess Zed_Thirteen boiled a set of carbs in water with lemon juice, then soaked the carbs in Cellulose thinner, then let the carbs sit in a water bath overnight.The "process" did some real damage to the carbs. Once I found the post I remembered it.
I guess one thing we should all remember is that "terms" we use in one part of the world may mean something completely different in another part of the world. At the time of the cellulose posts 2 years ago we (Canadians) were talking about lacquer thinner and our UK guys thought we just meant thinners (which at the time cellulose thinners was predominant in UK) and recently someone thought we were talking about paint thinners which in Canada is Varsol, which is so mild most of us old timers used it for getting grease off of our hands and a general parts cleaner for removing grease. (We all had it in our parts cleaning tanks) The chemical composition of these 3 different thinners is totally different. Lacquer thinner was designed for thinning lacquer based paints, cellulose thinner was for thinning cellulose based paints and paint thinner was for thinning oil based paints. A lot of us found different uses for these thinners other than thinning paint.

Bottom line- We all love to share our "trade secrets" in the hopes of helping our Brothers on this site. We just need to be cognisant of each other’s mannerisms and we each need to fully understand what our friends are telling us before going ahead with suggestions. Zed_Thirteen's episode with a set of carbs was a disaster and shouldn't have happened. We all learned about this 2 years ago and "apparently" some of us Old Farts forgot what we learned 2 years ago. My how the brain ages quicker than the body. !!

My carbs ended up with white powdery residue all over them but it did clean off with cloths soaked in more thinners. They have since been back-cleaned with Scotch's cleaning kit. I don't know why I said "Cellulose Thinners" when I was using Standard Thinners.
[url=
]Thinners[/url]
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, Kawboy

Last edit: by zed_thirteen.

Deja vu - carbs & hair drier 6 years 2 weeks ago #19300

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Just looking at the contents label of the thinner Zed used and the thinner Scotch and I use, they are definately 2 different types of "thinner". So as I said, we really need to understand how diferent things are around the world. I have no idea what Zed_thirteen's "standard thinner" is primarily used for and no idea whether it is stronger or milder than our Lacquer Thinner. I do know that Scotch's Lacquer Thinner is the Cat's Meow for cleaning the crap out of carbs and almost anything else. Before tagging up with Scotch on this site I used Brake cleaner (which is Tolulene) for cleaning anything that was important to me. Now, thanks to Scotch, I'm addicted to Lacquer Thinner.
Ok, time for me to go to an AA meeting and confess my sins. On the way home from the meeting, I'll stop at Home Hardware and get another gallon of Lacquer Thinner just in case they run out because all you guys are going to deplete the world stock on this fantastic product :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds